Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Seyed P. Razavi-Nematollahi" <se...@dooyoo.co.uk> on 2001/01/29 21:00:26 UTC

Is Cocoon usable?

Hi,

In a possible revision to the technology behind our systems I am
considering recommending we use XML / XSL to produce the content both
dynamically (for logged in users) and "off-line" static pages.  As
Cocoon is the only XSLT I'm familiar with I was disappointed to find
that it ran so slowly and used so much resources.  My set up is
definitely not optimised but looking over the archives I have not been
impressed by other peoples analysis either.

So my question is can we feasibly use Cocoon for our content generation
given the number of hits we get?  If not, is there any other XSLT we can
use out there?

FYI
..total per day
Number of hits: 4903614
Number of unique visitors: 57214
..avg per day
Number of pages viewed per day: 80624

And our Germany site is even more busy (x4-6)!

Cheers,

Seyed Razavi
dooyoo.co.uk
Development Project Leader

Re: Is Cocoon usable?

Posted by "T.Pospisek's MailLists" <tp...@spin.ch>.
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Seyed P. Razavi-Nematollahi wrote:

> As Cocoon is the only XSLT I'm familiar with I was disappointed to find
> that it ran so slowly and used so much resources.
[...]
> ..total per day
> Number of hits: 4903614

You definitvely get a lot of hits, but have you looked through the live
sites that run Cocoon? There are a few among them that seem to be
quite quick. Maybe you want to talk to their maintainers - quite a few of
them are on the list here.

There's recently been a discussion here about performance and replacing
the various parts of Cocoon, and allthough it seems that you can get
quite a performance gain, AFAIK you are still likely to run into some
problems if you are not using the "standard" components.

People here are reporting that Cocoon2 is considerably faster. I do not
know about its stability since it's still in development.

One thing you might want to consider is (www.)AxKit(.org) which has AFAICS
the same functionality as Cocoon, but is written and extensible in Perl.

If you do check it out, I for my part would be glad to hear about your
experience.

*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch