Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Antonio Rodriges <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/04 10:53:54 UTC

Log messages in multithreaded applications

Hello,

In multithreaded applications I got messages like

2011-09-04/01:50:22.515/PDT [AwtEventQueue-1] INFO  Received: message

Thus,
 private final Logger LOG = Logger.getLogger(this.getClass());

"this.getClass()" does not really make sense?

How to enable log4j more specific what class makes the message in
multithreaded applications?
Also, is there any way to log automatically the name of a method?

Thank you

Re: Log messages in multithreaded applications

Posted by Tim Watts <ti...@cliftonfarm.org>.
See:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/PatternLayout.html

you want the %c specifier in your log4j configuration for the layout.

If each of the classes that will be logging has (or inherits) an
initializer like the one you mentioned then "this.getClass()" actually
does make sense. Although being private, of course, means it will be
inaccessible to subclasses.

Posted by Antonio Rodriges <an...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Tim and Jacob, the option %c and link for PatternLayout helped.

Re: Log messages in multithreaded applications

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
See PatternLayout javadoc [1].  In any case, I think getLogger(Class) just creates
confusion.  It was added as a convenience because of the way most people name
their loggers, using the package/class hierarchy.  But really a logger name is
just a string and getLogger(String) would have been sufficient (using
getClass().getName()) and less confusing as it would have made clear to users that
package/class is only one approach to naming loggers, not the only one.

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/PatternLayout.html

Jake