Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2009/03/18 05:15:22 UTC

1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Hi all.

1.6.0-rc4 "Marlin" is up for signing and testing, the magic rev is
r36650.

http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.6.0-rc4/

This is expected to be the final release candidate in the 1.6.0
series.  Should all go well, we'll cut the public release tarball from
the same magic revision in a few days.

[ Insert standard disclaimers here. ]

-Hyrum

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1345448

Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
SUMMARY:
+1 to release

PLATFORM:
 Windows XP SP3
 MSVC 6.0 SP6
 Java 1.6

COMPONENTS:
 Apache        2.2.11
 APR             1.3.3
 APR-UTIL    1.3.4
 OpenSSL     0.9.8e
 BerkeleyDB  4.4.0.20
 Neon            0.28.3  (from deps)
 Serf              0.3.0    (from deps)
 ZLib              1.2.3    (from deps)
 SQLite          3.6.11  (from deps)

TESTED:
 JavaHL
 ra_local | ra_svn  X fsfs | bdb

RESULTS:
 All passed

SIGNATURES:

subversion-1.6.0-rc4.zip

subversion-deps-1.6.0-rc4.zip

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1350732

Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <se...@collab.net>.

subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.gz.asc

Thank You.
- --
Senthil Kumaran S
http://www.stylesen.org/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1348928

Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> 1.6.0-rc4 "Marlin" is up for signing and testing, the magic rev is
> r36650.
>
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.6.0-rc4/
>
> This is expected to be the final release candidate in the 1.6.0
> series.  Should all go well, we'll cut the public release tarball from
> the same magic revision in a few days.
>
> [ Insert standard disclaimers here. ]
>
> -Hyrum

TESTED:
-------
[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ file | svn | http (neon) | http (serf) ]
JavaHL Bindings

SUCCESSFULLY BUILT BUT NOT TESTED:
----------------------------------
Python Bindings
Perl Bindings

SUMMARY:
--------
+1 to release.

RESULTS:
--------
All pass*.

* The SVN_ERR_ASSERT in the XFAILing update_tests.py 32: 'update wc on
the root of a Windows (virtual) drive' still occurs, but as described
here, http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2009-03/0025.shtml, I don't
consider this a blocker.

VERIFIED:
-------
http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.6.0-rc4/marlin/subversion-1.6.0-rc4.zip:

C:\Downloads\1.6.0.RC4>gpg --verify subversion-1.6.0-rc4.zip.asc
gpg: Signature made 03/18/09 00:10:12 using DSA key ID 4E24517C
gpg: Good signature from "Hyrum K. Wright (Personal) <hy...@hyrumwright.org>"
gpg:                 aka "Hyrum K. Wright (UT) <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>"

MD5:  9d812e8907d898177808cc5986b912ab
SHA1: c2c321944abd0550215b754eba0dcb012dd16872

Excepting the expected differences in
subversion/include/svn_version.h, the contents of
subversion-1.6.0-rc4.zip match
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.6.x@36650.

PLATFORM:
---------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2211.2 Mhz 2 GB RAM
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5

DEPENDENCIES:
-------------
APR:      1.3.3
APR-UTIL: 1.3.4
Neon:     0.28.2
zlib:     1.2.3
OpenSSL:  0.9.8h
Apache:   2.2.10
BDB:      4.7.25
sqlite:   3.6.10
Python:   ActivePython 2.6.1.1
java:     1.6.0_07
swig:     1.3.36
serf:     0.3.0

SIGNATURE:
-----------
user: "Paul T. Burba <pt...@gmail.com>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID 53FCDC55, created 2006-06-21

http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.6.0-rc4/marlin/subversion-1.6.0-rc4.zip:

Paul

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1350500

RE: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

The bdb x neon test run completed without failures.

	Bert

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1353895

RE: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

Windows Vista X64
Visual Studio 2005 SP1 - 32 bit

Subversion tags:
 Apr 1.3.3
 Apr-Util 1.3.4
 Neon 0.28.4
 Serf trunk @1219
 Sqlite 3.6.11
Tarballs:
 BDB 4.4.20
 OpenSSL 0.9.8j
 Cyrus SASL 2.1.22
 ZLib 1.2.3

Only used for testing mod_dav_svn (tags):
 Apache Httpd 2.2.9
 Apr-Iconv 1.2.1

-- subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.bz2.asc

-- subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.gz.asc

-- subversion-1.6.0-rc4.zip.asc

-- svn_version.h.dist.asc

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1352171

Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1348546

Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> 1.6.0-rc4 "Marlin" is up for signing and testing, the magic rev is
> r36650.
>
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.6.0-rc4/

   +1 to release.

Platform:

   Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) Linux.

Tested:

   1.6.0-rc4 tarball with local dependencies (not from deps tarball)
   ((local,svn,serf,neon) x (bdb,fsfs)) + py + rb + javahl

Results:

   All tests pass.

MD5 Checksums:

   9eb4a7962498defe1dd2407e619c0efd  subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.gz
   27acaf713d85ee710a98e27909346dca  subversion-deps-1.6.0-rc4.tar.gz
   63df0dec04082bd4b2f9f59361c4a5a8  subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.bz2
   d5bbc3bff139e1610d09f6696baf8279  subversion-deps-1.6.0-rc4.tar.bz2

GPG Signatures (left-aligned because Hyrum likes it that way):

::: subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.gz :::

::: subversion-deps-1.6.0-rc4.tar.gz :::

::: subversion-1.6.0-rc4.tar.bz2 :::

::: subversion-deps-1.6.0-rc4.tar.bz2 :::

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1349706

Re: release engineering (was: Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing)

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
"Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote on 03/18/2009
11:37:39 AM:

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2009-release_engineering/mgp00017.html

> > Because many advanced OpenBSD users run regularly provided snapshots
> > and update their systems routinely every so often, a lot of
> > regressions and bugs in new features are caught quickly, often long
> > before release time.
> >
> > A key point here is that making snapshots available makes it easy
> > for people to try out the current state of things. They don't have
> > to go through all the hassle of checking out trunk, compiling it,
> > and so on. We know that not many of our own users (especially Windows
> > users) don't want to bother with that.
> >
> > I don't think getting an infrastructure that automatically compiles
> > Subversion snapshots for download would be incredibly difficult.
> > It's more of a question of who has the time and will to set it up.
> > It could probably be integrated with the buildbots, since they are
> > already compiling and testing binaries anyway. Just add packaging.
> > Then we'd have regular builds known to pass the regression test suite
> > for some versions of at least Windows, Mac, and some Linux distros.
>
> When we were going through the 1.5 release cycle, I wrote a script to
> post nighly tarballs on orac.  See http://svn.collab.
> net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/dist/nightly.sh

The biggest problem for 'normal' users using these (or other) snapshots
is the potential working copy incompatibilities between versions.  I've
been caught numerous times saying "oh crap", after I mistakenly updated
a large working copy with a dev version of subversion.

Maybe the wc-ng stuff can help by making things more forwards and
backwards compatible, but I doubt that is even on the list of things
to address.

Don't get me wrong, I think nightly builds are a great idea, just
we can't expect people to consistently use them unless working
copy compatibility is enhanced.

`Kevin R.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1349472

Re: release engineering (was: Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing)

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1349388

Re: release engineering (was: Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing)

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Stefan Sperling]
> I don't think getting an infrastructure that automatically compiles
> Subversion snapshots for download would be incredibly difficult.
[...]
> This would need not in any way affect the Subversion project's
> practice of only releasing source code for official releases.

It would, however, be exactly the opposite of current policy, where we
strongly discourage people from making it easy to install any of our
code that is not based on an official, blessed tarball.

The strongly worded statement Hyrum always includes in his pre-release
announcements suggests to me that the current policy is based on
strongly held opinions.

(Note, I am usually on the side of 'release early', not the side of
'protect the quality of the brand'.)
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

release engineering (was: Re: 1.6.0-rc4 up for signing/testing)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
[Cc'ing dev@ to gather comments]

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:38:25AM -0500, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > And only 3 months delay so far :)
>
> Sure, but it's a lot sooner than 1.5 was, so the 2nd derivative is
> negative. :)
>
>> This may be interesting to you, albeit not quite as applicable to
>> subversion as I'd like it to be:
>> http://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2009-release_engineering/
>
> Ooooo, I like it.  Thanks!

So, could some of this be applied to Subversion?

The essence I think is this slide ("our release cycle is simply
a fine-tuning period"):
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2009-release_engineering/mgp00017.html

Because many advanced OpenBSD users run regularly provided snapshots
and update their systems routinely every so often, a lot of
regressions and bugs in new features are caught quickly, often long
before release time.

A key point here is that making snapshots available makes it easy
for people to try out the current state of things. They don't have
to go through all the hassle of checking out trunk, compiling it,
and so on. We know that not many of our own users (especially Windows
users) don't want to bother with that.

I don't think getting an infrastructure that automatically compiles
Subversion snapshots for download would be incredibly difficult.
It's more of a question of who has the time and will to set it up.
It could probably be integrated with the buildbots, since they are
already compiling and testing binaries anyway. Just add packaging.
Then we'd have regular builds known to pass the regression test suite
for some versions of at least Windows, Mac, and some Linux distros.

The hard problem would be getting advanced Subversion users run
these snapshots in production, instead of regular releases.
This requires trust from the user side ("I can trust the Subversion devs
not to break the snapshots") and thus we developers would need to be
careful and willing to build up enough trust and then not to break it.

People running snaps would then be even more tightly integrated during
the release cycle and would be more readily able to do testing because
upgrading to the latest snap has become routine anyway and does not
take much time.

Whereas currently, we don't get any significant amount of testing by the
user community even closely before release. At least not as much as we'd
like to get. Most problems are reported after a "dot oh" release.
All we know at the time of release is that the test suite passes.
But we don't know if the code survives real-world usage.

I'd say that if we got something like this going, it would do its part
in making the 6 months release cycle dream we have been dreaming become
reality.

This would need not in any way affect the Subversion project's practice
of only releasing source code for official releases.

Stefan