Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "KASSON, STEVEN R (Steve), ALMSH" <sk...@att.com> on 2001/09/17 16:46:42 UTC

Config for WAS 3.5 on OS/390?

Hi All,  I've been developing a Struts application on my Windows 2000
machine running WebSphere 3.5.3.  Everything is working fine, thanks to all
the helpful information found on this mail list and the Jakarta site.

But, now I'm trying to deploy on WebSphere 3.5 running on a mainframe under
OS/390.. and not having much luck.  :- (

WAS on OS/390 is a bit different than the "multi-platform" releases of WAS.
For one thing, there is no Administrative Console.  Instead they use a
properties file WAS.CONF to define the application server, web applications,
and servlets.  From what I can find in the documentation, it also supports
XML Deployment Descriptor files like web.xml, but it must be called
<webappname>.webapp.  I've tried this XML approach, with no success... it
doesn't seem to be reading/loading the file.

Has anybody out there done this?  What would be really great is a sample
OS/390  WAS.CONF file or .webapp file for Struts.

I really appreciate any assistance.

Regards,
-Steve

RE: Config for WAS 3.5 on OS/390?

Posted by Sean Gollschewsky <se...@ispw.com>.
Hi Steve,

I'm in a similar situation, and having lots of trouble :-)

I have managed to get to the point where on startup WebSphere 3.5 OS/390
attempts to run the init on the ActionServlet, and this fails, with
extremely little diagnostics.

You can use the wartowebapp.sh tool to convert your war to a web app
(this tool populate the directory under your virtual host, and produces
a .webapp file to be merged with your was.conf file).  This works great.

You have to copy the WEB-INF directory to, for example,
default_host/webappname/servlets/WEB-INF (wartowebapp puts this under
the web directory originally).

Make sure your XML files are left in ASCII, I have also had trouble with
leaving the DOCTYPE stuff in them, so maybe take that out too.

Now you can attempt to start, and you'll get something like

Sep 27, 2001 09:07:09.906 AM  Thread-1 WebGroup      A
[Servlet.LOG]:."action: Loading application resources from resource
com.ispw.
webapp.approvals.ApplicationResources"

Sep 27, 2001 09:07:09.929 AM  Thread-1 WebGroup      A
[Servlet.LOG]:."action: Initializing configuration from resource path
/WEB-IN
F/struts-config.xml"

Sep 27, 2001 09:07:10.288 AM  Thread-1 ServletInstan X Uncaught init()
exceptio
                                 "action"

                                 javax.servlet.ServletException

 at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doInit(ServletManage
r.j
 at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._init(StrictLifecyc
leS

which isn't really all that helpful....

Let me know if you can get any further than this!

Gollo.