Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ulf Seltmann <se...@digitalzone.de> on 2008/07/23 15:31:16 UTC

mergeing too slow

Hi list.

I have problems with merging between two branches. It takes unusable
much time.

I'm using:
- Debian Lenny
- Subversion 1.5.0
- Eclipse 3.3 Europa (with PDT plugin for PHP)
- Sun Java 1.5
- Subclipse 1.4.1 (with SVNKit 1.2...)

Server:
- Apache 2.2.6 (mod_svn, mod_auth_shadow)
- Subversion 1.4.4

I can't believe this is usual. it takes about 30 minutes to merge the
branches (which by the way differ not much). The project's size is about
30 MB plus 100 MB external included projects (with svn:externals). My
CPU usage is nearly 0 and the network-traffic too. on the server i
figured out, that validation is done permanently. i think, that for
every file that shall be merged a request is made which needs to be
validated. this seems to slow down the communication. does anybody has a
suggestion how communication to the subversion-server should be done?

thanks in advance

ciao

Ulf

Re: mergeing too slow

Posted by Ulf Seltmann <se...@digitalzone.de>.
Mark Phippard schrieb:
> Can you try using the command line so we can rule out Subclipse and/or
> SVNKit as causes?
the command line is as slow as eclipse/subclipse. i copied the command
that subclipse was told me and executed it.

> You might want to use the CollabNet Merge Client.  It builds merge
> client on top of Subclipse.  It is EPL licensed and you can get it
> here:
>
> http://desktop-eclipse.open.collab.net/
thanks. i'll try.

> The Subclipse merge has not really been updated for 1.5.  It should
> still work properly but does not take advantage of newest API's.  I'd
> highly doubt that is adding any performance problems, but if the
> command line does not have the same problem, that would be something
> we could look at.
>
> Your validation idea is interesting.  Did you do anything to trace the
> requests that were being made?  I'd have thought that would show up as
> network traffic.
I monitored the tasks, that were done on the server while i was waiting
for subclipse to merge something and i figured out, that 'http-prefork'
(Apache child) and 'validate' (mod_auth_shadow authentication-wrapper)
are the processes that are spawned over and over. So i came to the
conclusion that its because every file is merged separately.
I switched to svn+ssh:// in the Repository-URL and the performance is
outstanding better (only seconds where i needed a half our).

thanks for help

ciao

Ulf

Re: mergeing too slow