Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Warner Onstine <wa...@warneronstine.com> on 2001/07/15 01:42:18 UTC

any thought to having torque generate intake?

Hi,
As I was going through my initial application creation I began to think of
all the great tools and how they work together. Of course not everything is
necessary in order to use Turbine, but some of these are great things.

One thing that crossed my mind was having torque auto-generate a base
intake.xml doc based on your schema, I don't know if this is something that
is wanted, but it would have helped me a great deal when trying to get a
handle on things.

Just a thought.

-warner

Re: any thought to having torque generate intake?

Posted by Warner Onstine <wa...@warneronstine.com>.
> > As I was going through my initial application creation I began to think
of
> > all the great tools and how they work together. Of course not everything
is
> > necessary in order to use Turbine, but some of these are great things.
> >
> > One thing that crossed my mind was having torque auto-generate a base
> > intake.xml doc based on your schema, I don't know if this is something
that
> > is wanted, but it would have helped me a great deal when trying to get a
> > handle on things.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> It's a good thought :-) There have always been discussions about
generating
> as much as possible. Torque started out by generating the SQL for a
database
> from an XML file. It then grew to generate the peers, it is now generating
> all sorts of things.
>
> Just to be clear the generation is really Texen and not Torque. Torque
> is known by Turbine users as a tool to generate things, and it has been,
> but I would like to see Torque become a persistence layer proper. Possibly
> an implementation of JDO.

yes, what about updating it to use xml-schema?

> So yes it would be great if a basic application could be generated from
> a schema of some sort. Leandro has just sent me some nifty code that
creates
> managers for the business objects created by Torque along with actions
> and input templates. We could certainly add some intake to the templates.

Very cool, is it in CVS?

> Ultimately I hope that the application can be described with UML and have
> everything flow from there. I'm not really keen on designing an
application
> starting with the database schema which is how turbine apps normally
start.
> That's a long way off but that's what I would like to work toward. Use
> something like netbeans with an ArgoUML plugin along with modules that
help
> produce Turbine applications. Hopefully that will be web and non web apps,
> possibly swing apps. Anything is possible, but it certainly would be nice
> to generate a fully function turbine application from a schema of some
sort.
> The current TDK generation is definitely limited and I would definitely
> like to work toward improving the sample application that is produced.

Always been a dream of mine, too =)

-warner

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.