Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/11 11:38:32 UTC

Moving Usergrid to the attic

Usergrid friends,

We had a conversation about this on the private mailing list, but we need
to discuss here in the open.

It seems that, while we do have a good number of committers and PMC
members, we do not have any developers actively working on the project or
any volunteers willing manage a release. We have not added a new committer
or made a release in over two years.

If the project is to continue, then we need new folks to step up and start
contributing. Otherwise we should retire it and move the project to the
attic via the process outlined here: https://attic.apache.org/process.html

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Moving Usergrid to the attic

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Rod's sentiments.  I'd be happy to review any PRs that you
submit.  It would be fantastic to breath some life back into the project.

In terms of multi region ES, this is not possible within ES itself since ES
does not support it natively. Instead, the indexing module uses a queueing
mechanism of Entity Write -> SNS -> SQS.  This allows us to configure an
SNS topic to publish indexing events, then these events are delivered to
each region's own SQS queue.  The listeners read the entity id and version,
then index the entity in it's own region's ES cluster.

Cassandra internally is multi region.  When an entity is written to Cass,
it will be replicated to the other regions automatically assuming your ring
is set up correctly.  In the event an async replication were to fail, the
indexing events have a fallback consistency read pattern to force read
repair from another region.  The indexing attempts read at LOCAL_QUORUM, if
this fails, it then falls back to QUORUM to try to get an up to date record
from the region that contains the record.

Todd

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
bump!

Posted by Fouad Omri <fo...@predapp.com>.
Hello Dave,

--
--------

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.
Ok, new dumb questions:

1. What is the url for the Apache git?
2. I assume I need to upload my ssh key somewhere (for apache git) - anyone
know where?  Dave?

I'm going to try to review these outstanding PRs.  I have told through
other channels that some of them may have already been merged (and probably
just need to be killed).

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.
Thanks, Dave!

--