Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org> on 2021/08/17 18:08:37 UTC

Cassandra 4.0.1 and 4.1.0 status update, 2021-08-17

Hello project!

[Announcements]

For this edition, first off congrats again to Adam Holmberg on getting the
commit bit.

- Sumanth Pasupuleti opened up CEP-13 for a feature allowing blocking
access to certain blocklisted partitions.

-- Ponymail:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r1547c5f2fb8548e2f7dcbe1a26da8c2a95ebec81adeeb2ea0545924d%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

-- CEP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/CEP-13%3A+Denylisting+partitions

There's a lot of home grown implementations of this one floating around, so
please chime in if you have a perspective on how you'd like to see this
feature take shape.

- Benjamin pinged the list this morning asking if anyone else has any
feedback on the CEP for pluggable memtables. Please make sure you hop into
that thread if you have something you'd like to add:

--
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rb5e950f882196764744c31bc3c13dfbf0603cb9f8bc2f6cfb976d285%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

[Progress]

In the past two weeks we've seen 13 issues closed on 4.0.1 and 3 for 4.1.0.
Of particular note is the excellent work by Yifan Cai, Brandon Williams,
and Chris Lohfink on adding a background scheduled cleanup for orphaned
hints files to make operations of clusters simpler (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16815)

[Blocked on Reviewers]

Our project historically gets blocked on needing reviewers quite a bit -
reviewing is hard, and we're all busy. :) As a reminder, our kanban board
for 4.0.1 and 4.1.0 has a 'No Reviewer' filter and the project has a "every
ticket merged needs to be reviewed by 2 committers" policy. That said,
here's the link:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2161

4.0.1:

- 5 tickets need reviewers entirely

- 3 tickets are in need of committer attention

4.1.0:

- 14 tickets need reviewers entirely

- 0 tickets are in need of committer attention

[Stalled]

In the stalled category (haven't updated in 30d), we have a handful of
things that are probably good candidates to be poked and prodded; my
intuition is that we have some things in here that should be bounced out of
patch available and need revisiting, including what FixVersion they're
targeting.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2171

4.0.1:

- 3 awaiting review

- 6 in review

4.1.0:

- 15 awaiting review

- 3 in review

Lastly, as a little convenience, here's a link to the combination of
'Stalled' and 'Only My Issues' (i.e. things you're assignee or reviewer
on):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2171&quickFilter=2155

And that's it for our two week update. I believe Mick is going to be
opening some discussions about specific timing and criteria for the 4.0.1
release, so look forward to that hitting the dev list. Thanks as always for
the participation in the project!

~Josh