Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2001/10/27 21:05:22 UTC

Re: tr///; ?

In message <01...@firewallsrv1.bi.ceyoniq.com>, T.Rademache
r@ceyoniq.com writes:
>Does ORO understands tr///;? I'm not a perl expert, but I no that the tr///;
>can hold a string matched by a regular expression and subsitues it with
>aother regEx. I now that Perl and Ruby supports this regular expression
>addon.

tr doesn't use regular expressions.  It translates elements from one
character set to another.  I don't think this belongs in Perl5Util,
but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong in jakarta-oro.  Even though
there is a heavy emphasis on regular expressions, the project's charter
is to provide oft-used text processing functionality.  So things like
tr, tokenizers, etc. can be added if a good enough case can be made for
it and an appropriate design can be arrived at.

daniel