Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/02 12:25:33 UTC

Handling of optional jars

If JMeter is used without some of the optional jars (e.g. mail, jms or
bsh), then it will work OK so long as the relevant test elements are
not in the test plan and no attempt is made to add them. Some warning
messages may be logged.

However, JMeter does not behave consistently when attempting to use
missing optional jars.

In some cases, if the optional jars are missing, then the test
elements don't appear in the menus, in other cases the menu items
appear, but attempts to add them to the plan may fail.

Also, if one tries to load an exisiting test plan which refers to an
optional component, all sorts of errors can be logged, and the plan
may not load completely.

I'd like to tidy this up a bit - but what should the strategy be?

If a jar is missing, should the corresponding menu items be present or not?
If the menu item is present, what should happen when the user tries to add it?
If an existing test plan refers to missing jars, what should be the behaviour?

It may not be possible to tidy this up completely, but it would be
useful to know what to aim for.

Re: Handling of optional jars

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
I like option #1 - that way people can see what they're missing, but
it's obvious that it's disabled.

For loading a test plan that uses an optional item that they don't have,
I think a good error pop-up should be displayed.  Ideally, we could
still load the test and leave a disabled generic component in place of
the component using the optional jar.

-Mike

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.