Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/18 07:46:40 UTC

Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away... (Rampant FUD in FOSS Land)

 (and MySQL too, and probably the same that would like for Oracle's
investments in FOSS to end).

"LibreOffice, as you know, is now the defacto office suite of choice
among Linux users and is rapidly gaining traction in the Windows world
as well. "
"OpenOffice is pretty much only a memory"
http://www.linuxtoday.com/upload/oracle-losing-its-mysql-grip-to-mariadb-130916110509.html

Citebite archive: http://pages.citebite.com/l2e1g0y0r4kpb

Apparently the original story has been pulled from FOSSFORCE.COM, but
not before it was widely spread around...

This is the same scenario as when Googles move from MySQL to MDB is
mirrored everywhere, yet Mozilla's decision, on technical merits to
move from MDB to MySQL 5.6 gets no mention whatsoever.
https://twitter.com/sheeri/status/372319624043716608
https://twitter.com/sheeri/status/372099540624478208

Of course, truth is just a small peeble in the shoes of a good FUD
campaign... doesnt stop them. Apache OpenOffice or MySQL: the tactics
are the same, lie,lie, and lie again.

Some of the lies stick and become common, widespread truths repeated
without fact-checking. The rest is herd behaviour and copy-paste IT
journalism. Case in point:http://tinyurl.com/muktware-liars vs reality
http://tinyurl.com/lsvya6f

Or: http://pages.citebite.com/c2u1y0m0q5vti vs:reality:
https://twitter.com/myfear/status/380190532552884225

This isnt healthy. It needs to stop.

In the wise words of Shuttleworth: http://pages.citebite.com/e7v0f3m9sder

Is the Evil Empire of Redmondia behind this campaign to portray IBMers
as inept (Rob Weir has mentioned some of the FUD coming from the ither
side wrt Sidebar and IBMs contributions) and Oracle as evil, when both
firms are investing a lot in FOSS development (in the case of Oracle,
investing a lot in Linux kernel engineers, OpenJDK, Netbeans,
Glassfish, releasing JavaFX 2.0 under a GPL license, Virtualbox,
etc..) Or is someone else behind this persistent FUD? Some firm that
perhaps wants its web services to replace everything else?

Thinking aloud
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwel

Re: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away... (Rampant FUD in FOSS Land)

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.
As a predominately Linux user of AOO, I can say that it is generally very good - I think I may have had a couple crashes with the 4.0 version, but I honestly can't remember.
I much prefer AOO over LO.  The only place I have had issues with the AndroOpenOffice port for Android which while coming along is still a ways from being production quality, but it's not maintained at all with this community - the developer, I'm told, has expressly decided not to.

That said, AOO on Linux is a bit more problematic mainly because it does not enjoy the same level of distribution integration that LO has.
I use KDE; AOO only provides integration for GNOME. So I'm left somewhat stuck for the time being, until I get around to doing the integration myself if it doesn't happen in the community first.
If there integration were there, then I think it's be a first class experience just like on Windows.

Ben

________________________________
Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
FOSS usually means Free and Open Source Software.
FUD usually means Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (or Disinformation).

Maurice Howe (a happy AOO user)

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Scooter <sc...@scootersdesk.com> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused.

It shows. Some comments below each of your statements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

> and why would any of us think "Open Office is pretty much only a memory"
> (per Mr Cassia).?

I didnt say that. I quoted an article. And included the URL so that others
could read it in its entirety.

>How and why is Mr Cassia in this List group If he detests AOO so much

Please try to understand what you read before you accuse someone of
something. The purpose of my e-mail was to alert the group of yet another
article smearing Apache Open Office. I do support AOO, I use it daily.

The rest of my message, which you failed to grasp, tried to highlight that
the arguments used by some in the LO camp against AOO are the same used by
MariaDB against MySQL, in a nutshell that:

-that a corporation being the main contributor to an open source project is
in itself "a bad thing"
-that dual licensing is bad (not used against AOO but was used against Sun
OpenOffice.org before, and Oracle after that)
-that AOO contributors were "mostly IBMers" - MDB accuses MySQL of being
developed "mostly by Oracle employees"
-that  "forking in the name of community" gives better results overall for
the health of a project rather than engaging with the upstream corporate
sponsor of it.

I personally think -like Canonical's Shutleworth-
1. that the OO.o-LO fork was an unfortunate event
2. That the split hurt both projects more than it helped
3. That the reasons invoked for the split were magnified, and included a
large dose of FUD (I guess you know what it means by now)
4. That part of the IT press played a role in magnifying Fear, Uncertainty
and Doubt, hence creating a "self fulfilling prophecy"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

Those were my thoughts. If high-level historical analysis of events
confuses you, please, dont answer.

;-)

Best
FC
-
FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away... (Rampant FUD in FOSS Land)

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scooter,

Actually Fernando was reporting on what others had said, not stating his
opinion. Just to clear that up for you.

I hope you continue to enjoy your experience with AOO.

//drew

Posted by Scooter <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.
Good Morning Group,

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.