Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2000/07/03 17:43:04 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c

On 3 Jul 2000 gstein@locus.apache.org wrote:

> gstein      00/07/03 05:06:40
>
>   Modified:    src/lib/apr/include apr_file_io.h
>                src/lib/apr/file_io/os2 filestat.c
>                src/lib/apr/file_io/unix dir.c fileacc.c fileio.h filestat.c
>                         open.c pipe.c
>                src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c
>   Log:
>   add ap_finfo_t.device
>   add ap_setfileperms() for setting file permissions (chmod cover).
>       - OS/2 and Win32 currently return APR_ENOTIMPL
>   fix the file perm handling in APR: some conversion between ap_fileperms_t
>       and mode_t was not occurring; adding new conversion function; renamed
>       old conversion func.

Why were these done in one commit?  These are three VERY distinct
patches.  I would also like to understand why the function was
renamed.  This looks like a personal preference as far as the name goes,
which IMHO is not a great reason for the change.  It isn't worth it to
rename it back, but this sure looks like a change for the sake of change.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 04:37:53PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 08:43:04AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >>
> >> Why were these done in one commit?  These are three VERY distinct
> >> patches.
> >
> >It was small and easy work, easy to review, and it was all the same set of
> >files. Also, I've seen much larger and disparate changes checked in as a
> >batch before; this didn't even seem close to those.
>
> Just because people have done the wrong thing in the past doesn't mean
> the mistake should be repeated.

Why is this such a big deal? We're talking a few dozen lines.

Next time, I'll check it as "APR changes needed for DAV." There. It is now a
"group of related changes" (per the dev guidelines).

Honestly guys... I break up my changes in many cases (e.g. in this case, I
checked in the APR changes as a unit, then the DAV changes as a unit). Also
for this case, the set of files was the same and it all went in together,
after testing the set with the DAV changes.

I really don't see the big deal here, other than simply getting a feeling of
being singled out and harshed on.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 08:43:04AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>>
>> Why were these done in one commit?  These are three VERY distinct
>> patches.
>
>It was small and easy work, easy to review, and it was all the same set of
>files. Also, I've seen much larger and disparate changes checked in as a
>batch before; this didn't even seem close to those.

Just because people have done the wrong thing in the past doesn't mean
the mistake should be repeated.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
329 itch-fighting cortex ointment

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 08:43:04AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2000 gstein@locus.apache.org wrote:
> > gstein      00/07/03 05:06:40
> >
> >   Modified:    src/lib/apr/include apr_file_io.h
> >                src/lib/apr/file_io/os2 filestat.c
> >                src/lib/apr/file_io/unix dir.c fileacc.c fileio.h filestat.c
> >                         open.c pipe.c
> >                src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c
> >   Log:
> >   add ap_finfo_t.device
> >   add ap_setfileperms() for setting file permissions (chmod cover).
> >       - OS/2 and Win32 currently return APR_ENOTIMPL
> >   fix the file perm handling in APR: some conversion between ap_fileperms_t
> >       and mode_t was not occurring; adding new conversion function; renamed
> >       old conversion func.
> >

> Why were these done in one commit?  These are three VERY distinct
> patches.

It was small and easy work, easy to review, and it was all the same set of
files. Also, I've seen much larger and disparate changes checked in as a
batch before; this didn't even seem close to those.

> I would also like to understand why the function was
> renamed.  This looks like a personal preference as far as the name goes,
> which IMHO is not a great reason for the change.  It isn't worth it to
> rename it back, but this sure looks like a change for the sake of change.

I introduced a second function with the opposite semantics. The rename was
done to create a matched pair of function (ap_unix_perms2mode and
ap_unix_mode2perms). The name also made it clearer what the function did
(ap_unix_get_fileperms() returned a mode_t given an ap_fileperms_t; the new
name makes this a bit more obvious)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.