Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Akos Tajti <ak...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/24 17:40:06 UTC

distance of matches

Dear List,

does the distance of the matches for a multi-term query matter? For example
if I search for "dog cat", which one of the following matches will get
higher rank?

"dog, cat, snake, apple" or "dog, apple, snake, cat"

I expect the second. Am I right?

Thanks in advance,
Ákos Tajti

Re: distance of matches

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hey,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Akos Tajti <ak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> does the distance of the matches for a multi-term query matter? For example
> if I search for "dog cat", which one of the following matches will get
> higher rank?

this depends on the query you are executing. if you use a phrasequery
the first example is likely to be higher ranked. A simple boolean
query might give it the same score depending on the document length,
boosts, frequencies of the query terms etc.

simon