Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2005/03/25 21:56:08 UTC

svn:externals and branch

I'm sure someone has thought of this already, but just in case... We
started using svn:externals in a similar way to Struts (the build
directory) and it worked great...until we had to branch.  While the
svn:externals copied correctly, they still refer to the same directory.
  This means, if you wanted to modify a looked up file in your branch,
it affects your trunk and vice versa.

The solution we came up with was a script that did the following:

1. Create the branch as usual
2. svn copy the svn:externals directory into the branch

This allows us to modify the looked up directory in a branch without
affecting trunk, and again, vice versa.  This also solves the tag
problem as long as tags are created from a branch.  Otherwise, the tag
would have to have the svn:externals directory copied in.

I don't know if strict branch control is even an issue for Struts, but I
thought I'd bring it up.

Don