Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Srikanth Srungarapu <sr...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/24 01:39:26 UTC

regarding secure read accesses in 0.98

Hi Folks,
I noticed that withing 0.98 branch, the behavior of read accesses depends
on hfile versions. If the user decides to use HFile V3 instead of HFile V2,
then the read actions in case of access denied case start returning 0 rows
instead of throwing AccessDenied exception. Ted mentioned yesterday that
some work has been done in this direction [1], where a flag
"hbase.security.access.early_
out" was provided to the user for restoring the previous behavior. But,
this flag does make sense only in the context of user switching to HFile
V3.  Is it a better idea to get rid of this dependency on file versions and
present users with a single knob for switching behavior? Or can we do
something about making this more consistent, may be not immediately, but
for 1.0?
Thanks,
Srikanth.

Re: regarding secure read accesses in 0.98

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
0.98+ security features gives a new feature of more fine grained Access
control per cell level. * This can be achieved only when using HFile V3 *.
The above said config give a way for old behavior even in the context of
new enhancement. And so it make sense in HFile V3 alone  So what is the
dependency u mean here? Sorry not getting fully.  As long as the user
continue to use HFile V2 (that is the default in 0.98) it will continue
with old ways of early out with Access denied on read reqs.

-Anoop-

Posted by Srikanth Srungarapu <sr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys for the inputs. I have created HBASE-12087 for changing the
default setting in 0.98.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: regarding secure read accesses in 0.98

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: regarding secure read accesses in 0.98

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <th...@gmail.com>.
the problem is this:

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--