Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Samuel Gutierrez <sa...@iherb.com.INVALID> on 2020/11/24 01:32:43 UTC

Query generation is different for search terms with and without "-"

I am troubleshooting an issue with ranking for search terms that contain a
"-" vs the same query that does not contain the dash e.g. "high-tech" vs
"high tech". The field that I am querying is using the standard tokenizer,
so I would expect that the underlying lucene query should be the same for
both versions of the query, however when printing the debug, it appears
they are generated differently. I know "-" must be escaped as it has
special meaning in lucene, however escaping does not fix the problem. It
appears that with the "-" present, the pf2 edismax parameter is not
respected and omitted from the final query. We use sow=false as we have
multiterm synonyms and need to ensure they are included in the final lucene
query. My expectation is that the final underlying lucene query should be
based on the output  of the field analyzer, however after briefly looking
at the code for ExtendedDismaxQParser, it appears that there is some string
processing happening outside of the analysis step which causes the
unexpected lucene query.

Solr Debug for "high tech":

parsedquery: "+(DisjunctionMaxQuery((Name_enUS:high)~0.4)
DisjunctionMaxQuery((Name_enUS:tech)~0.4))~2
DisjunctionMaxQuery((Name_enUS:"high tech"~5)~0.4)
DisjunctionMaxQuery((Name_enUS:"high tech"~4)~0.4)",
parsedquery_toString: "+(((Name_enUS:high)~0.4
(Name_enUS:tech)~0.4)~2) (Name_enUS:"high tech"~5)~0.4
(Name_enUS:"high tech"~4)~0.4",

Solr Debug for "high-tech"

parsedquery: "+DisjunctionMaxQuery((((Name_enUS:high
Name_enUS:tech)~2))~0.4) DisjunctionMaxQuery((Name_enUS:"high
tech"~5)~0.4)",
parsedquery_toString: "+(((Name_enUS:high Name_enUS:tech)~2))~0.4
(Name_enUS:"high tech"~5)~0.4"

SolrConfig:

  <requestHandler name="/search" class="solr.SearchHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="omitHeader">true</str>
      <str name="indent">true</str>
      <str name="wt">json</str>
      <str name="mm">3&lt;75%</str>
      <str name="qf">Name_enUS</str>
      <str name="pf">Name_enUS</str>
      <str name="ps">5</str>    <!---->
      <str name="pf2">Name_enUS</str>
      <str name="ps2">4</str>   <!---->
      <str name="qs">3</str>    <!---->
      <str name="tie">0.4</str>
      <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
      <int name="rows">100</int>
      <str name="sow">false</str>
    </lst>
    <lst name="invariants">
      <str name="defType">edismax</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

Schema:

  <fieldType name="text_en" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100">
      <analyzer>
        <filter class="solr.EnglishPossessiveFilterFactory"/>
        <filter class="solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory"/>
      </analyzer>
  </fieldType>

Using Solr 8.6.3

--
*The information contained in this message is the sole and exclusive
property of ***iHerb Inc.*** and may be privileged and confidential. It may

Re: Query generation is different for search terms with and without "-"

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Ages ago at Netflix, I fixed this with a few hundred synonyms. If you are working with
a fixed vocabulary (movie titles, product names), that can work just fine.

babysitter, baby-sitter, baby sitter
fullmetal, full-metal, full metal
manhunter, man-hunter, man hunter
spiderman, spider-man, spider man