Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Calabrese, Jason" <JC...@exchange.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM> on 2000/11/09 00:59:23 UTC

escaping text output

I am using Xalan to generate a text email.  Part of the email is a url to a
jsp.  I need to escape the value of a value-of function so that a space
character is output as %20.  Is there any standard way to do this?

Re: escaping text output

Posted by Fabian Huschka <fa...@dreicsystems.de>.
Hello Jason,

you may define a entity called space and reference this entity in your
style sheet / XML document  by "&space;".

Define the entity in a file (e.g. special.ent) :

<!ENTITY % space "%20">

Add the following processing instruction to your stylesheet:

<!DOCTYPE page [<!ENTITY % special SYSTEM "special.ent"> %special;]>

An example in the stylesheet may look like this:

<xsl:text>http://www.somelink.de/some&space;text&space;with&spacewhitespace&space;characters</xsl:text>

To use this entitiy in your XML documents you must also include the processing
instruction above.

Best regards,

Fabian