Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2009/03/09 17:50:02 UTC

Re: Does "hadoop-default.xml" + "hadoop-site.xml" matter for whole cluster or each node?

On Mar 9, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Nick Cen wrote:

> A clear naming convention will make it more easy to configure. But i
> think
> besides the system and job level , i think there are also some
> parameters
> take effect in node level like mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum,
> as far
> as i can remember, we can set this differently for different node.

There are only a few that are actually pushed around by the system.
The system directory and the heartbeat interval are the only ones that
readily come to mind. For the most part, the other ones that act like
that are only used by the job tracker and therefore only need to be
present on the job tracker.

And probably a better structure would be:

mapred.job.* -- job specific
mapred.system.* -- used by both master and slaves
mapred.master.* -- used by the JobTracker
mapred.slave.*  -- used by the TaskTrackers

-- Owen