Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Thomas Mahler <th...@apache.org> on 2002/12/22 15:06:26 UTC

[ann] new release 0.9.8

Ho ho ho,

just in time for christmas...

a new OJB release!

from the releases notes:

ObJectRelationalBridge -- Bridging Java Objects and Relational Databases

ObJectRelationalBridge (OJB) is an Object/Relational mapping tool that
provides transparent transactional persistence for Java Objects against
relational databases.
OJB supports ODMG and JDO.

Changes in Release 0.9.8

new features:
- On the fly database generation
- JDO support by providing a plugin to the JDO reference implementation
- support for nested fields

bug fixes:
- tons of bug fixes

With this release we are feature complete for the 1.0 release!
For 1.0 you should not expect more features to be added.

cheers,
Thomas

ODMG transactions and Websphere

Posted by J Pielage <pi...@fel.tno.nl>.
Hi there,

We are using OJB (0.9.7) for implementing a project on a Websphere App
Server (WAS), v.4.0.
Access to the OJB layer is strictly from session EJB's (or helper
classes). The database is Oracle 9i.

OJB works great for retrieving data and everyone is very happy about it.

However, I'm a bit confused with regards to transactions when using the
ODMG API for creating / modifying persistent objects. (We consider using
OJB instead of entity beans, not for implementing BMP entity beans).

My OJB.properties file currently looks like this:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Transaction Management and assocation
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Use the LocalTxManager if you want the transaction to be associated by
a thread
# OJBTxManagerClass=org.apache.ojb.odmg.LocalTxManager
# Use the JTATxManager if you want the transaction to be associated via
the Transaction
# manager that is in your application server.
OJBTxManagerClass=org.apache.ojb.odmg.JTATxManager
#

# WebSphere transaction manager factory
JTATransactionManagerClass=org.apache.ojb.otm.transaction.factory.WebSphereTransactionManagerFactory

However using this configuration beginning a transaction will fail. (The
same code runs fine using the LocalTxManager).
Running the debugger in WSAppDeveloper v5 I found out that the
WebSphereTransactionManagerFactory will try to access a class named
com.ibm.ejs.jts.jta.JTSXA (actually in the original OJB source mispelled
as com.ibm.ejcs.jts.jta.JTSXA) to get a TransactionManager. This seems
to do go well, I don't get any ClassNotFound or other exceptions.
However the returned TransactionManager will not return a transaction
when asked for it.

So, has anyone ever got this working? Or should I use another approach?
For instance, can it harm to use the LocalTxManager in an app server
architecture like the one I described? Any help deeply appreciated.

Best regards, have a good X-mas time,

Jeroen Pielage
Antares
the Netherlands

Sv: [ann] new release 0.9.8

Posted by max <ma...@eos.dk>.
> Hi again Max,

Hi again Thomas and a Merry xmas to you :)

> Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> > Im just curious - how far are you/we from having
> > the OTM functional ? (Thus to get separate caches for each thread/connection
> > to avoid the need for pessimistic locks)
>
> Not to far away I hope. Raghu announced to work on it for some time...

Yes - looking forward to it cause I can't get my self to use OJB before it's going to have an "session-level" cache :(

Re: [ann] new release 0.9.8

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@apache.org>.
Hi again Max,

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Im just curious - how far are you/we from having
> the OTM functional ? (Thus to get separate caches for each thread/connection
> to avoid the need for pessimistic locks)

Not to far away I hope. Raghu announced to work on it for some time...

> I've tried to read the doc's on the web site, but it still seems to be
> unimplemented and the only "way out" - still is to have a NonCachingCache
> (and then live with not having identity (==) on objects)
>
> Is this still true for OJB ?

Still true!

cheers,
Thomas