Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/23 15:14:47 UTC

Settings for DocValues

Hi,

Would like to find out, if we set docValues="true" in my configuration of
the fieldType in schema,xml, must we set the corresponding indexed="false"
and stored="false"

Will there be any implication if I set my indexed="true and stored="true"?

I'm using Solr 6.1.0

Regards,
Edwin

Re: Settings for DocValues

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org>.
In addition to what Erick said, there is actually a smaller implication
between Stored and docValues as well .
With latest Solr releases docValues data structures are used to fetch the
stored content.
In the case of multi-valued fields, we can have inconsistency with the
ordering of the multiple values.

So, if the case applies, I suggest to specify the additional attribute.

In the past, Solr guaranteed that retrieval of multi-valued fields would
> preserve the order of values. Because values may now be retrieved from
> column-stored fields (docValues="true"), in conjunction with the fact
> that DocValues
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/DocValues> do not
> currently preserve order, means that users should set
> useDocValuesAsStored="false"
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Defining+Fields> to
> prevent future optimizations from using the column-stored values over the
> row-stored values when fields have both stored="true" and docValues="true"

Cheers

--
--------------------------

Benedetti Alessandro