Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2019/11/03 12:58:35 UTC

[CODEC] Sign Extension Error in Murmur3

There is an error in the current Murmur3 code introduced by sign extension
errors.  This is documented in CODEC-264.[1]

I have created a pull request to fix it.[2]

While the code changes did not change any of the existing Murmur3 tests, I
did add new tests that failed until the changes were applied.

However, I am concerned that the commons-codec Murmur3 code is in the wild
and this change will impact some hashes.

Therefore, I am asking for a discussion concerning how to apply any patches
like CODEC-264 to hashing algorithms that are in the wild.

Thx,
Claude

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-264
[2] https://github.com/apache/commons-codec/pull/27

Re: [CODEC] Sign Extension Error in Murmur3

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
As a third option as @melloware said in the pull request comments the
original implementation came from Apache Hive.  The current hashes could be
named hash31Hive and hash128Hive

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [CODEC] Sign Extension Error in Murmur3

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
[...]

1. Create a new Murmur3 class with method names like hash128_x64 (ones that

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [CODEC] Sign Extension Error in Murmur3

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

> [...]

>>> Or would it be better to make the corrected behaviour optional?
>>>
>>> Or deliberately break the API to force users to choose between old and
>>> new behaviour?
>>>
>>> Note that Wikipedia says that the x86 and x64 versions of the
>>> algorithm generate different results in the case of the 128 bit hash.
>>> However Commons Codec does not have different implementations for x86
>>> and x64; it is not clear which has been implemented.
>>> The JavaDoc also fails to mention that there is a 64bit hash.

And lacks <p> and <a> tags in the header as appropriate.

>>> The class clearly needs additional test data; it's possible that there
>>> are discrepancies in other hash sizes as well.
>>>
>>> The code has multiple implementations for each hash size depending on
>>> the parameter types, which increases the number of tests needed.
>>>
>>> Note that the original C++ implementation only has 3 hash methods:
>>> MurmurHash3_x86_128

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.