Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Higginbotham <jh...@betweenmarkets.com> on 2003/01/16 22:00:39 UTC

RE: PlugIn model design

It just sounds like a good candidate for the interceptor pattern,
allowing each "plugin" to registry an interceptor in th request
processing chain. Its up to the RequestInterceptor to then determine if
the current request is a valid request to do its work in. For instance,
I have added an internal concept of a WizardAction to our codebase. For
simplicity sake, i check to see if the input="wizard" so that I can
return the proper JSP when a validatione error occurs, without having
indiv mappings for each step. I had to subclass the default RP, but if I
choose to start using Tiles, I need to move my code over to the Tiles RP
subclass instead. Having an RequestInterceptor allows me to check in the
processValidate() whether my custom logic is even appropriate or not..
URI mapping may be one way, parameters ina  request may be another.

Thoughts?