Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "William D.Colburn" <wc...@nmt.edu> on 1999/12/01 17:46:21 UTC

general/5404: Apache seems to back-search bad URLS until it finds a good one, and returns it. This breaks things, such as my htdig search engine

>Number:         5404
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache seems to back-search bad URLS until it finds a good one, and returns it.  This breaks things, such as my htdig search engine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Pick a URL which exists, for instance "http://www.apache.org/index.html"
and access it.

Now try a URL that doesn't exist which contains part of the previous one,
for instance "http://www.apache.org/index.html/this/should/not/work" and
access it.  My netscape brings up the apache web page with broken image links
and any CGI scripts that need to be run (none on that particular page) will
fail mysteriously as well.

I'm pretty certain this should not happen.
>How-To-Repeat:
See above.  :)
>Fix:
Not really.  I tried to read the source code to apache, but there is a lot of
it so I gave up and decided to just file this bug report.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]