Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ji ZHANG <zh...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/12 07:18:41 UTC

What's the Common Way to Execute an HBase Job?

Hi,

I'm using the HBase Client API to connect to a remote cluster and do
some operations. This project will certainly require hbase and
hadoop-core jars. And my question is whether I should use 'java'
command and handle all the dependencies (using maven shaded plugin, or
set the classpath environment), or there's a magic utility command to
handle all these for me?

Take map-redcue job for an instance. Typically the main class will
extend Configured and implement Tool. The job will be executed by
'hadoop jar' command and all environment and hadoop-core dependency
are at hand. This approach also handles the common command line
parsing for me, and I can easily get an instance of Configuration by
'this.getConf()';

I'm wondering whether HBase provides the same utiliy command?

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: What's the Common Way to Execute an HBase Job?

Posted by yonghu <yo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

To process the data in Hbase. You can have different options.

1. Java program using Hbase api;
2. MapReduce program;
3. High-level languages, such as Hive or Pig (built on top of MapReduce);
4. Phoenix also a High-level language (built based on coprocessor).

which one you should use depends on your requirements.

Yong