Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2015/10/08 22:31:37 UTC

Apache OpenOffice Board-Reporting Schedule

[BCC to PMC]

>From the Chair,

After watching the Board process for almost a month now, I have the
following observations about the reporting calendar for Apache OpenOffice.

Here is the reporting cycle we are on:

                    QUARTER   REPORT    FINAL

       January 1 - March 31   April     May

          April 1 - June 30   July      August

      July 1 - September 30   October   November

    October 1 - December 31   January   February

This may have been obvious to others.  It is similar to how business
reporting calendars work.  Now it is clear to me.  I am a slow learner :).

I will honor this calendar for regular reports.  Additional reports are
possible.  I made such a report for the September Board meeting.

The Board meetings are usually on the third Wednesday of the month, making
the reports due on the second Wednesday of each month.  So there are always
at least 7 days to prepare and review one on time.  We are in such a period
for the October report, which will be reviewed within the PMC as a draft
takes shape.

The reports become official when they appear in approved ASF Board minutes
(very long text documents).  That approval usually happens in the month
after the Report is submitted.  It can take longer if minute approvals are
delayed.

As a convenience for the AOO community, the Board-approved -FINAL AOO
reports are replicated at
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/pmc/BoardReportsArchive>.

 - Dennis

Re: Apache OpenOffice Board-Reporting Schedule

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>                      QUARTER   REPORT    FINAL
>         January 1 - March 31   April     May
>            April 1 - June 30   July      August
>        July 1 - September 30   October   November
>      October 1 - December 31   January   February

The fact that it is by calendar quarters is an arbitrary choice. I
tended to go by quarters for simplicity (so the October report would
describe the situation for Q3: July, August, September). Jan probably
usually sent a report that was more up-to-date, i.e., reflecting recent
events too.

The difference is only 10-15 days, but those days can be eventful ones.
For example, if the October report describes Q3 only, it would have to
state that a release candidate for OpenOffice 4.1.2 is not available,
since we had it on 2 October. But since it is important news, it can
probably fit in the October report too.

There are no precise rules, as far as I know, about the precise period a
report should cover: the Chair is expected to describe the "latest
quarter", and this does not need to be clarified further.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Apache OpenOffice Board-Reporting Schedule

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Just some additional pointers.  The official schedule (and roster for
the PMC) is kept here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/committee-info.txt

OpenOffice is listed under the heading "January, April, July, October".

A historical record of all *approved* and public minutes for Open
Office can be found here:

https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/OpenOffice.html

Remove "OpenOffice.html" from that final link to see an index of all reports.

- Sam Ruby