Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2021/01/28 05:00:18 UTC

Website update, announcement, CVE

Hi guys,

Sorry, I’m late about website update, announcement and CVE publication for ActiveMQ 5.16.1.

I will fix that asap (at least during the week end).

Sorry about that,
Regards
JB

Re: Website update, announcement, CVE

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Yep, thanks again Lucas for that contribution
(https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/pull/39). I was going to
bring more attention to it here myself once I had related changes for
adding a new Artemis release, which I now have.

As a summary, to add a new broker release you will now create a
collections file containing a few details, and then possibly update
the 'current releases' prefix config in the Jekyll config file if the
current release stream(s) changed. Jekyll will then generate the
download page (+release page for 5.x), past releases etc details based
on those.

For example, creating this 5.16.1 release file and setting the related
config values as follows:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/activemq-website/7a8bdde040886f1150ec753dea344090135fce73/src/_5x_releases/activemq-5016001-release.md
https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/blob/7a8bdde040886f1150ec753dea344090135fce73/_config.yml#L24-L26

Yields the following download and release pages (and adds a link to it
from the past releases page):
http://activemq.apache.org/components/classic/download/
http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-5016001-release

Similarly for Artemis, creating this 2.16.0 release file and setting
the related config value as follows:
https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/blob/7a8bdde040886f1150ec753dea344090135fce73/src/_artemis_releases/artemis-02-16-00-release.md
https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/blob/7a8bdde040886f1150ec753dea344090135fce73/_config.yml#L22-L23

Yields the download page, past releases page, and previous-docs pages
being updated as follows:
http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/download/
http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/download/past_releases
http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/previous_docs
(this one is normally reached within an iframe)

You'll note the output largely seems the same as before, since it
mostly is. Its just that now much of it is generated at build time
from the metadata files, rather than by manually creating/updating the
final pages directly.

The release instructions for both brokers have been updated to reflect
the new simpler process for adding a release.

Robbie

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
OK, ack.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
JB,

Believe me I certainly appreciate the work you have done and all the
releases as of late. I know my email essentially singled you out (just
because you are the only one who has done 5.x releases recently) and was a
bit critical but my response was also just for anyone and includes all of
our projects like Artemis. I just think it's a good idea to have a plan to
make sure the process is finished in a timely manner before starting.

When I've done releases I have personally found that when starting the
release process it's just easiest if that same person completes everything
and just acts as the release manager for the whole process because others
don't know where things stand so it's a bit hard for them to help (unless
it's asked for). That's just my opinion of course and maybe other people
don't agree.  As you stated anyone can still help out and that is great if
they do of course.

Going forward we can always rotate who performs the releases so the work
isn't always put on one person (in this case you). Since we will have a
schedule it will probably be easier to get others to volunteer. I can
certainly help out and do some of them. Or we can coordinate and task
different people to do different parts of the process ahead of time if they
are willing to reduce the burden on one person.

Chris

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Thanks Robbie,
>
> I was about to update website. Thanks for catching this !
>
> I will move forward on announcement.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> > Le 29 janv. 2021 à 14:38, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > I have just updated the website to change the download page to 5.16.1,
> > add the 5.16.1 release page (which notes the announced CVE Gary
> > already updated the site with), and fix the broken links for the
> > 5.16.0 page. The site should be updated before the prior release is
> > removed from mirrors, or it breaks the links.
> >
> > I leave any further tweaks and announcements needed to you.
> >
> > On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 05:00, Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Sorry, I’m late about website update, announcement and CVE publication
> for ActiveMQ 5.16.1.
> >>
> >> I will fix that asap (at least during the week end).
> >>
> >> Sorry about that,
> >> Regards
> >> JB

Tim Bish