Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/12/05 19:17:04 UTC

Build flags

Could we agree on some place where we can post what build flags we're
using?  If we really want to avoid build breakages, I think we need to
start building in the same way.  This includes our desk builds, but
also the Buildbot.

In theory we have a Building Guide on the wiki:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide

But that has not been updated since June 2010.  How do we expect new
developers to get started with the code if the build doc is not up to
date?

And we probably have two slightly different sets of flags we use:

1) Flags for building a source release, which would exclude category-b
components.  This build would also finish by building a source
tarball.  And I think this is where running RAT is most useful.

2) Flags for building the binary releases, which would include
category-b components and produce the install sets.

Can anyone suggest a set of build flags that we should all be using?

Maybe they can be put here:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html

-Rob

Re: Build flags

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Could we agree on some place where we can post what build flags we're
> using?  If we really want to avoid build breakages, I think we need to
> start building in the same way.  This includes our desk builds, but
> also the Buildbot.
>
> In theory we have a Building Guide on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide
>
> But that has not been updated since June 2010.  How do we expect new
> developers to get started with the code if the build doc is not up to
> date?
>
> And we probably have two slightly different sets of flags we use:
>
> 1) Flags for building a source release, which would exclude category-b
> components.  This build would also finish by building a source
> tarball.  And I think this is where running RAT is most useful.
>
> 2) Flags for building the binary releases, which would include
> category-b components and produce the install sets.
>
> Can anyone suggest a set of build flags that we should all be using?
>
> Maybe they can be put here:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html

Rob--

I don't remember if I saw replies to this...any?

I think "whoever" should just update the building guide you refernced in
the first link and not segment off this additional page you suggested.
Just my .02.

> -Rob

MzK

 by the way its animals are treated."