Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/05 15:44:05 UTC

Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex? (was: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App))

After Alex mentioned FXG, one important question comes to light:
should Apache Flex keep use FXG as skining tool?
as FXG is tightly linked to Adobe and its tools, can we count on Adobe
to continue to maintain the use of it? especially in Creative suite tools?

by the way, why Adobe chose to use new FXG, instead of SVG? (i bet the
answer as already been given a few times, sorry for asking again)

Alex, can you please enlighten us on that subject?
Thanks

Re: Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex?

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I think it's a good long term investment. There is a lot already invested
in it. FXG is more like SVG 4.0. Also, there has been work done on the
compiler that produces optimized FXG. FXG is Flex' friend.

Posted by Yvon Sauvageau <ys...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

> On 10/5/2012 9:44 AM, sébastien Paturel wrote:
>

>> by the way, why Adobe chose to use new FXG, instead of SVG? (i bet the
>> answer as already been given a few times, sorry for asking again)
>>

>  There has been some talk about that in the past.  The general gist--as I
> understand it--was that they decided it would be better to create something
> which was closer to the Flash Player rending model.
>
>  FXG and SVG are very close; as I understand it.  I thought the Flex
> compiler supported SVG too?  It may be an interesting experiment to convert
> all the FXG elements (and related skins) to SVG.
>
> --
> Jeffry Houser
> Technical Entrepreneur
> 203-379-0773
> --
> http://www.flextras.com?c=104
> http://www.theflexshow.com
> http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> http://www.asktheflexpert.com
> --
> Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

Yes FXG is practically interchangeable with SVG markup. However, converting
FXG to SVG would be counterproductive. FXG enjoys optimizations on the
compiler that SVG does not, so it will always run more efficiently. At
least that is my understanding.

-omar

Re: Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
But it seems that theres very little differences between the two.
IMO Adobe will drop FXG sooner or later.
Why should they keep with it if they don't keep Flex in their main strategy?
I think we will have to get back to an SVG based solution (with SVG
extension ?)

Re: Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex? (was: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App))

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/5/12 6:44 AM, "sébastien Paturel" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After Alex mentioned FXG, one important question comes to light:
> should Apache Flex keep use FXG as skining tool?
For now, yes.
> as FXG is tightly linked to Adobe and its tools, can we count on Adobe
> to continue to maintain the use of it? especially in Creative suite tools?
Adobe has made no promises about FXG support into the future.

> by the way, why Adobe chose to use new FXG, instead of SVG? (i bet the
> answer as already been given a few times, sorry for asking again)
I wasn't involved in that decision, but I think I recall overhearing some
discussions about the mapping of SVG to Flash display objects.  FXG files
can be compiled very well into Flash SWF DefineXXX.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.