Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Sever Fundatureanu <fu...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/19 13:51:24 UTC

OOME cause

Hello,

I have a RegionServer which OOMEd. The memstore is set to 0.4 and the
blockCache to 0.4 of total memory. Although the memstore was empty
(confirmed with Ganglia), the server OOMEd.
I noticed the block cache is doing a lot of evictions, which caused a
full GC pause. However, I don't see why this would cause an OOME, if
the memstore is empty. Can someone please explain this?

You can find the last lines of .out and .log files here:
http://pastebin.com/NjV7Wrjj
http://pastebin.com/Px4McVDt

Thank you in advance,
--
Sever Fundatureanu
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

Re: OOME cause

Posted by Sever Fundatureanu <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin,

The heap was close to 100% as expected. The version is 0.92.0.
I can also add I am using the options: HBASE_OPTS="-XX:NewSize=64m
-XX:MaxNewSize=64m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70"
If I allocate .8 for memstore+blockCache, will HBase use only .2 even
if the .8 is not fully used ? Or will it use more, if for example the
memstore is empty?

Thanks,
Sever

E-mail: fundatureanu.sever@gmail.com