Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2012/10/05 21:55:49 UTC

Seperate list for JIRA tickets

Hey,

The CloudStack dev@ list is... VERY high traffic. A lot of that are JIRA
notifications.

Can we, per Incubator policy, set up an issues@ list? (And
STRONGLY encourage committers to subscribe to it.)

I have not checked with the community to see if they want this, but I want
to understand if it's possible.

NS

Re: Seperate list for JIRA tickets

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Can we, per Incubator policy, set up an issues@ list? (And
> STRONGLY encourage committers to subscribe to it.)
>
> I have not checked with the community to see if they want this, but I want
> to understand if it's possible.

Yes, many projects do this.  Load up
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/> in your browser and search for the
string "issues".  Also, "notifications".

I'm a big fan of shunting notifications from issue trackers and continuous
integration tools onto dedicated lists.  The resulting improvement in
signal-to-noise ratio for the main dev list makes it friendlier for lurkers,
visitors and new contributors, and makes the dev list archives easier to
browse and search.

Marvin Humphrey