Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/29 21:05:17 UTC

Remove Java dependencies from packages?

So Roman opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-29, but we
should probably have a discussion about this before we go ahead. Due to the
special sort of hell that is Java packages on Linux, having an actual
dependency (either build-time or install-time) on Java can be a giant pain.
I'm running into this right now trying to get the Jenkins build working on a
CentOS 6 box. Roman's proposing we just assume that a viable JDK/JRE is
already installed and in the path. That's not perfect packaging, sure, but
it's a hell of a lot simpler for us. What are people's thoughts?

A.

Re: Remove Java dependencies from packages?

Posted by James Page <ja...@ubuntu.com>.
On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:05 -0700, Bruno Mahé wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 12:05 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> > So Roman opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-29, but
> we
> > should probably have a discussion about this before we go ahead. Due
> to the
> > special sort of hell that is Java packages on Linux, having an
> actual
> > dependency (either build-time or install-time) on Java can be a
> giant pain.
> > I'm running into this right now trying to get the Jenkins build
> working on a
> > CentOS 6 box. Roman's proposing we just assume that a viable JDK/JRE
> is
> > already installed and in the path. That's not perfect packaging,
> sure, but
> > it's a hell of a lot simpler for us. What are people's thoughts?
> >
> > A.
> >

> As long as it makes my life easier with openJDK, I am fine.
>
> It may also be a good idea to remove that dependency given all the
> uncertainty around it:
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u

As sun-java6-* looks likes its going to disappear from both Ubuntu and
Debian (and maybe other Distros) it would definitely make sense to
remove that dependency as it won't be installable (unless Oracle does a
u-turn - you never know...).

One of the reasons cited is the maturity of OpenJDK - all of the
packaging work I do in Debian and Ubuntu uses 'default-jdk' which maps
to OpenJDK and I don't see much in the may of issues.

Maybe we should have a long-term target of building using OpenJDK
instead which would allow package dependencies to be re-introduced?  It
would require working with the projects we integrate to identify what
does not work and get patches applied (I will likely be working in this
area anyway).

--
James Page
Ubuntu Server Developer

Re: Remove Java dependencies from packages?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, then I think we have consensus - remove the Java dependencies for
> now, longer-term aim at getting them moved to OpenJDK, but since that'll
> involve work in the components proper, that'll take some time. Does that
> sound good to everyone?

+1.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Remove Java dependencies from packages?

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 08/31/2011 02:26 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> Alright, then I think we have consensus - remove the Java dependencies for
> now, longer-term aim at getting them moved to OpenJDK, but since that'll
> involve work in the components proper, that'll take some time. Does that
> sound good to everyone?
>
> A.

Sounds good to me.

Last time I tried, I had no issue compiling (and running) hadoop and co
with openJDK. Maybe we should give a try and see what happens?

Re: Remove Java dependencies from packages?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Page <ja...@canonical.com>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.