Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Alan Hazelton <al...@thingworx.com> on 2016/01/08 16:18:44 UTC

MessageGroup affinity question

When the affinity of a message group is reset by setting JMSXGroupSeq = -1,
is there any way to influence which node will be assigned for future
messages in this message group?

On a test system with two nodes each with a max of 75 consumers each, it is
observed the nearly all of the messages without an affinity (reset as
above), are directed to node 1.  Eventually some messages are assigned to
the second node but it is definitely imbalanced.   What I would like to have
is a round-robin approach over the nodes, not the available consumers as a
whole.   Is this possible via configuration?

Re: MessageGroup affinity question

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I believe it's not currently possible; the consumers are enumerated based
purely on the order in which the broker received their subscription,
without considering the client (possibly another broker) from which the
subscription came.

My gut tells me that if implemented, there are probably situations (network
of brokers topologies) where it wouldn't behave like you want it to, so I'm
not sure it could be implemented "correctly" for a non-mesh topology.  But
in either case, it has not been implemented, and there isn't an existing
configuration that will do what you want.

Tim