Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Luis Croker <lc...@megacable.com.mx> on 2008/12/18 23:37:06 UTC

Learning SPAM

   Hi all....

   I have a question...  I have configured a mail server with Postfix
+spamassassin+amavis.  The server is working very good and blocking
well.  I have installed another server... with the same procedure... and
I have the same rules, configuration files...
I mean, everything is exactly the same.  When I send the traffic to this
new server, some spam mails pass, these mails are not being blocked, but
If I switch the same  traffic to the old server, this blocks everything
fine.  I have turned on the bayes_auto_learn and use_bayer parameters.

   Is this a normal behaivor   in the new server???  Maybe the server
needs to learn about the spam mails and start blocking later... if this
is true, when wiil the new server starts to block the real spam ?

   Thanks.  Regards.

Re: Learning SPAM

Posted by Luis Croker <lc...@megacable.com.mx>.

    Hi...

    I have fixed the problem...  I dont know if this is the best
method...    I have copied  the following files, from the old server to
the new server...

mailgw# pwd
/var/amavis/.spamassassin

mailgw# ls -al
total 25298
drwx------  2 vscan  vscan       512 Dec 19 11:31 .
drwxr-x---  7 vscan  vscan       512 Dec 18 17:59 ..
-rw-------  1 vscan  vscan      1584 Dec 19 11:33 bayes.mutex
-rw-------  1 vscan  vscan     59784 Dec 19 11:33 bayes_journal
-rw-------  1 vscan  vscan  20758528 Dec 19 11:33 bayes_seen
-rw-------  1 vscan  vscan   5046272 Dec 19 11:33 bayes_toks

    I supposs that the new server can not block cause the the DBs didnt
have enough information to apply bayes rules...  right now the server is
blocking like the old server...

    thanks all send me an answer. ..

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 15:53 -0800, John Hardin wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Luis Croker wrote:
>
> >     I have been looking in my files... and the logs show me that the
> > rules BAYES_* (BAYES_00.. BAYES_99) are not doing match in the mails...
> > I mean... these rules are not being used...
>
> Is BAYES_50 the only BAYES rule you see hitting? That means your bayes
> database isn't sufficiently trained yet. You need 200 spams and 200 hams
> before bayes starts scoring messages.
>
> >    How can i try to do Amavis uses these rules ?
>
> Amavis is irrelevant.

> Did you copy the bayes database files to the new server?
>
> You'll have to set up some mechanism to copy the bayes database files from
> the system that is doing training to the other system(s), or set up bayes
> from a SQL database that they both connect to.

Luis Croker
SCSA - SCNA
Administrador de Sistemas
Megacable Comunicaciones
GPG Key1024D/48C1764B
Key fingerprint = E8B6 E84F ECE4 661E 30C7 7208 042D BD09 48C1 764B

Re: Learning SPAM

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Luis Croker wrote:

>     I have been looking in my files... and the logs show me that the
> rules BAYES_* (BAYES_00.. BAYES_99) are not doing match in the mails...
> I mean... these rules are not being used...

Is BAYES_50 the only BAYES rule you see hitting? That means your bayes
database isn't sufficiently trained yet. You need 200 spams and 200 hams
before bayes starts scoring messages.

>    How can i try to do Amavis uses these rules ?

Amavis is irrelevant.

>>> I have installed another server... with the same
>>> procedure... and I have the same rules, configuration files...
>>> I mean, everything is exactly the same.

Did you copy the bayes database files to the new server?

You'll have to set up some mechanism to copy the bayes database files from
the system that is doing training to the other system(s), or set up bayes
from a SQL database that they both connect to.

   "Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never
   does quite what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."
 				           -- Peter da Silva in a.s.r
  7 days until Christmas

Re: Learning SPAM

Posted by Luis Croker <lc...@megacable.com.mx>.

     I have been looking in my files... and the logs show me that the
rules BAYES_* (BAYES_00.. BAYES_99) are not doing match in the mails...
I mean... these rules are not being used...

    How can i try to do Amavis uses these rules ?

    Thanks.

Re: Learning SPAM

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.