Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/27 16:42:57 UTC

Moving Tags

We are using our CVS repository to hold code for Development, Staging
and Production levels of code.   Every file holds a tag that identifies
what stage the code is in D - Development, S - Staging, P - production.

When one initially modifies the file (merges it with what is out on
there), the user tags it for Development.  Once it has been tested on
their local environment, the user tags it for Staging.  Once the file
(or components) have been tested in the Staging environment, it is
tagged for Production.

When the user needs to update their local workspace, they can "check
out" all the versions tagged as Development, Staging or Production.

One could then checkout all the files associated with the Staging or
Production level and do a build and deploy of that level.

I've been searching in the docs and this listserve to determine if and
how I can do this type of version control under Subversion.  Am I able
to do this with Subversion; and if so, how is that accomplished?

While not directly part of this question, the last I have seen about a
Subversion Ant Task in this list serve was a question around 2003.  I
would like to be able to control the checkout and deploy of the above
process through an Ant Task.  Is an Ant Task available for Subversion;
and could I do what I have in mind.

Our project manager wants to move to Subversion (my thought is if it
ain't broke don't fix it...) but we would like to be able to use the
above version control schema....

Stephen L. McConnell
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem....
 Or maybe a precipitant or colloidal suspension...."
                                    -- Lamar Stephens

=====

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@bantamtech.com>.
AFAIK, you should be able to do this. Subversion has very robust
branching and merging skills.

As to the Ant task, many people just use the <exec> task. It's less
verbose than putting the same thing in xml format.

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by Kalen Jordan <kj...@insurancejournal.com>.
Okay, so I'm going to try to run svnserve as a daemon, instead of
running svn through httpd.  I run svnserve -d from my server and then go
to my windows machine and run:

svn checkout svn://198.162.0.137/home/svn

And I get:

svn: Can't connect to host '192.168.0.137': A socket operation was
attempted to
an unreachable host.

I already edited conf/svnserve.conf and created a user file.

Kalen

--

Mr. Kalen Jordan
Web Developer

Get Our Free Daily Insurance News Headlines e-mailed to you. Just click on  this link:
http://www.insurancejournal.com/subscribe/email/

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by Kalen Jordan <kj...@insurancejournal.com>.
Peter,

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by Kalen Jordan <kj...@insurancejournal.com>.
I installed subversion on fedora using yum installer.  created a
repository in the web root.  imported a few source files just fine.  but
when i tried to check them out using svn checkout
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svn from a windows machine on the same network, i
get:

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 301 Moved Permanently (http://192.168.0.137)

i checked the online FAQ and the book and didn't find much.

Thanks,
Kalen

Re: Moving Tags

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Mon, 2004-27-12 at 08:42 -0800, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> We are using our CVS repository to hold code for Development, Staging
> and Production levels of code.   Every file holds a tag that identifies
> what stage the code is in D - Development, S - Staging, P - production.

Why not a directory structure like this:

  /
  |- trunk/  {or in your terms... development/ }
  |- staging/
  |- production/

So you merge change sets from /trunk to /stage, test the system and if
successful merge the change set from /stage to /production

Sound good?

> When one initially modifies the file (merges it with what is out on
> there), the user tags it for Development.  Once it has been tested on
> their local environment, the user tags it for Staging.  Once the file
> (or components) have been tested in the Staging environment, it is
> tagged for Production.

As I'm sure you know, tags are just copies of a file.  The tag itself is
the directory that the file lives in.

You would probably want to limit who has commit privileges
on /production but other than that you checkout/export the proper
directory to test that code.

> When the user needs to update their local workspace, they can "check
> out" all the versions tagged as Development, Staging or Production.

$ svn co ${SVN_ROOT}/development/

or staging, or production

> One could then checkout all the files associated with the Staging or
> Production level and do a build and deploy of that level.
>
> I've been searching in the docs and this listserve to determine if and
> how I can do this type of version control under Subversion.  Am I able
> to do this with Subversion; and if so, how is that accomplished?

You need to `svn merge -r100:110 ./development/ ./staging/` your changes
from development to staging to promote the code.

Read the section on merging to figure out how to do that from the book.
It's pretty straight forward.

> While not directly part of this question, the last I have seen about a
> Subversion Ant Task in this list serve was a question around 2003.  I
> would like to be able to control the checkout and deploy of the above
> process through an Ant Task.  Is an Ant Task available for Subversion;
> and could I do what I have in mind.

I don't know.

Hope this helps.
Chris