Posted to users@airavata.apache.org by Heejoon Chae <he...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2014/02/03 08:40:31 UTC

Re: Authentication required when XBaya JNLP used.

Hi Saminda,

The JNLP(XBaya) security issue also happens in Windows. It seems last time
when I checked this in Windows, I added the our web server as trusted site,
so it didn't give error messages and this is not ideal solution(this even
still gives error on MAC).

This time the XBaya give same error meesge saying "cannot run application"
as I mentioned before and also saying "Permission attributes is missing in
manifest in main jar...".

I digged a little bit more and found JAR security related manual saying "If
the Security Level slider in the Java Control Panel is set to Very High or
High, the Permissions attribute is required in the main JAR file for the
RIA. If the attribute is not present, then the RIA is blocked." from below
site.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/manifest.html#permissions

Since the default JAVA security level is High in Java 7, the JNLP based
application(XBaya) seems to be blocked even though I signed all jars with
trusted certificates.

So, I guess putting Permission attributes in manifest file is worth to try
to solve this problem.
Could you simply put the Permission attributes( 'Permissions:
all-permissions') to menifest file and rebuild the jars?

Thank you,
Heejoon.

Following is error message I got.

java.lang.SecurityException: Missing required Permissions manifest
attribute in main jar:
http://epigenomics.snu.ac.kr/temp/mmia_web_test/xbaya_jnlp/lib/airavata-xbaya-gui-0.10.jar
 at com.sun.deploy.security.DeployManifestChecker.verifyMainJar(Unknown
Source)
 at com.sun.deploy.security.DeployManifestChecker.verifyMainJar(Unknown
Source)
 at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)