Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Barbara Post <ba...@ifrance.com> on 2002/08/21 16:35:20 UTC

Re: Problems installing Cocoon 2.0.3 [xerces to be updated]

try to update xerces to 2.0.2 version. I had this problem too, same
environment.

(http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-j/Xerces-J-bin.2.0.2.zip)

from the zip, copy xercesImpl, xmlParserAPI to CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
Remove the version of xerces you have there (xerces.jar).

Remove xercesImpl-2.0.0 from cocoon's WEB-INF/lib.

Babs
Posted by Kjetil Kjernsmo <kj...@kjernsmo.net>.
On Thursday 22 August 2002 16:28, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> >java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
> >(java.util.PropertyPermission javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory
> > read)
>
> It's *java* permission, not *OS* permissions. Search for Java policy
> file(s), edit as necessary (archive has some more info on this).

Wooohooo! It works! :-) Yeah, I suspected that a bit, but I had no idea
how to proceed.

After searching the archives and trying a few different things, I added
grant {
        permission java.security.AllPermission;
};
to /etc/tomcat4/policy.d/04webapps.policy and Cocoon comes up
beautifully (I guess this file is something Debian specific...?).

However, I guess this is a blanket permission for everything to do
whatever they might like, and that's a bit scary... Is there a
just-tight-enough permission I can grant?

BTW, I've now got 20-something java-processes using 65megs each. Is this
normal...? Anybody got some old EDO RAM chips lying around....? :-)

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/

Re: Problems installing Cocoon 2.0.3

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

>On Wednesday 21 August 2002 16:35, Barbara Post wrote:

>However, I guess it could be a different problem:
>Somewhat further down the error page I'm seeing the following:
>root cause
>
>java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
>(java.util.PropertyPermission javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory read)
>	at
>java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)
>	at
>java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)
>	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)
>	at
>java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1278)
>	at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:560)
>	at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:229)
>[snip]
>
>So, it seems to be some permission problem. Therefore, I created a
>tomcat-group, and made the tomcat4-user that runs the server a member
>of that group, and added the write permissions for the group to
>/var/lib/tomcat4/webapps which is where I keep the .war, but that
>didn't help.

It's *java* permission, not *OS* permissions. Search for Java policy
file(s), edit as necessary (archive has some more info on this).

>One concern: While I was compiling, using J2SDK1.3, it warned me that
>the build was for 1.2. Is this something I shouldn't ignore?

No, it's ok. 1.3 is ~= 1.2. Just don't run it under 1.4+

Vadim

Posted by Kjetil Kjernsmo <kj...@kjernsmo.net>.
On Wednesday 21 August 2002 16:35, Barbara Post wrote:
> try to update xerces to 2.0.2 version. I had this problem too, same
> environment.

Hmmmm, I'm seeing the same error message right now. I'm trying to
install CocoBlog, so I pulled a copy of Cocoon2.1 from CVS last night.
Yeah, I guess I'm too adventurous, but I really need this. However, I'm
on a Debian system, and I got xerces from testing, which is 2.0.2.

> Remove xercesImpl-2.0.0 from cocoon's WEB-INF/lib.

OTOH, I never had that... Should I really?