Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John T <jt...@ci.com> on 2008/08/15 17:32:23 UTC

OutOfMemory Errors

Hi. I am getting outofmemory errors while using FOP 0.95. I have ready many
of the posts her regarding this issue and it always seems that other users
receive this error message when generating a PDF with several hundred pages.

Generally I am creating PDFs with single pages and therefore using only one
page sequence. One PDF has a maximum of 5 pages.

I've tried increasing the memory for the JVM that I am using with out any
success. Are there any other things that can be done to minimize/reclaim
memory being used?

My environment:

Windows XP
BEA 8.1
2GB memory

Thanks
John

Re: OutOfMemory Errors

Posted by John T <jt...@ci.com>.
I've only run this in a servlet not on the command line.

Thanks.

Re: OutOfMemory Errors

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hmm, this is really nothing that FOP should choke on. Is this happening
when you run it from the command-line? Or only if you're inside BEA?

If you do a heap dump for me (-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError, provided
this happens on the command-line) and make it available for me to
download somewhere, I'll gladly look into it. But if it only happens in
the app server it's probably not FOP that's eating so much memory.

Good luck!

On 15.08.2008 17:59:42 John T wrote:

> The images are a 40KB max. I'll send the FO via email.
>
> John
>

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > With a single page? Are you throwing huge images at FOP? What does the
> > FO look like?
> >
> > On 15.08.2008 17:32:23 John T wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi. I am getting outofmemory errors while using FOP 0.95. I have ready
> >> many
> >> of the posts her regarding this issue and it always seems that other
> >> users
> >> receive this error message when generating a PDF with several hundred
> >> pages.
> >>
> >> Generally I am creating PDFs with single pages and therefore using only
> >> one
> >> page sequence. One PDF has a maximum of 5 pages.
> >>
> >> I've tried increasing the memory for the JVM that I am using with out any
> >> success. Are there any other things that can be done to minimize/reclaim
> >> memory being used?
> >>
> >> My environment:
> >>
> >> Windows XP
> >> BEA 8.1
> >> 2GB memory
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> John
> >> --
> >>

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: OutOfMemory Errors

Posted by John T <jt...@ci.com>.

Re: OutOfMemory Errors

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
With a single page? Are you throwing huge images at FOP? What does the
FO look like?

On 15.08.2008 17:32:23 John T wrote:

> Hi. I am getting outofmemory errors while using FOP 0.95. I have ready many
> of the posts her regarding this issue and it always seems that other users
> receive this error message when generating a PDF with several hundred pages.
>
> Generally I am creating PDFs with single pages and therefore using only one
> page sequence. One PDF has a maximum of 5 pages.
>
> I've tried increasing the memory for the JVM that I am using with out any
> success. Are there any other things that can be done to minimize/reclaim
> memory being used?
>
> My environment:
>
> Windows XP
> BEA 8.1