Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/06/17 09:18:34 UTC

Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Hi all,

Following our yesterday concall, I wrote down the minute notes:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Apache+Karaf+First+Birthday+Meeting+%282011-06-16%29

Feel free to update and change it.

As I said yesterday, I will start to work on the Karaf roadmap page and
Karaf architecture/implementation draft.

I think that these pages should be easily visible by the website visitor.
That's why I propose to write it into the Karaf website and not the wiki.

WDYT ?

Thanks
Regards
JB

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi JB,

+1 for beeing visible for all visitors.
How about "embedding" this or maybe other pages from Wiki inside the
std.Karaf pages.

Regards, Achim

2011/6/17 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> Following our yesterday concall, I wrote down the minute notes:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Apache+Karaf+First+Birthday+Meeting+%282011-06-16%29
>
> Feel free to update and change it.
>
> As I said yesterday, I will start to work on the Karaf roadmap page and
> Karaf architecture/implementation draft.
>
> I think that these pages should be easily visible by the website visitor.
> That's why I propose to write it into the Karaf website and not the wiki.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> JB

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
On the wiki, we didn't update the content (deprecated).

The website is OK.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Ah yeah, I see what you mean.
It's weird, the link is

http://karaf.apache.org/manual/2.1.99-SNAPSHOT/users-guide/installation.html

but the content is "correct" (we can see 2.2.1 version in the content).

I will take a look.

Thanks for the update

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
JB,

+1 for wiki pages as children of the "cap" page :-)

btw. why is the documentation still showing the 2.1.99-SNAPSHOT
instead of 2.2.1-SNAPSHOT?

regards, Achim

2011/6/17 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>:
> Agree Andreas,
>
> I think that:
> - link to the wiki "cap" page in the community area of the website
> - wiki pages as children of the "cap" page
>
> is the most efficient way.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 06/17/2011 09:42 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<jb...@nanthrax.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Following our yesterday concall, I wrote down the minute notes:
>>>

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Apache+Karaf+First+Birthday+Meeting+%282011-06-16%29
>>
>> This looks great; It gives a very good overview of the topics we've
>> discussed yesterday.
>>
>>> As I said yesterday, I will start to work on the Karaf roadmap page and
>>> Karaf architecture/implementation draft.
>>>
>>> I think that these pages should be easily visible by the website visitor.
>>> That's why I propose to write it into the Karaf website and not the wiki.
>>
>> Well the problem with the homepage is still the contribution. Maybe we
>> could go somewhere in between and provide only the "headlines" on the
>> homepage and link to the wiki page?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> p.s.: thanks for the "birthday party" yesterday! Was cool to get the
>> names backed up with voices :)

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Maybe not the most beautiful solution, but definitely the most
efficient :) --> +1

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

I see the possible advantages of keeping the documentation in
subversion. The problem is that I think they are more academic than real.

Am 17.06.2011 10:59, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> There are also lots of benefits of not using cwiki:
>    * ability to work offline (that's really a problem with confluence)
The ability to work offline is a real and great benefit of subversion.
>    * ability to experiment using branches
I am not sure if this will be used much. On the wiki this can still be
done by creating pages for the changes on branches and later replacing
the original page with it.
That is not a streamlined but works.

I think branches even cause a lot of effort. As most documentation
changes affect several versions you will have to keep the branches in sync.

Another problem is which branch to show in the web. trunk ? Last releaed
versions? All supported branches? I think this will rather confuse people.
>    * ability to version documentation easily
As I said in the other mail I think documentation has a different
lifecycle than the code. So I think keeping them together may even be a
bad idea after all. For example if there is an
error in the documentation you most times wil not want to wait for a
patch release to see the fix. You will rather want to see it asap.

Currently we show the manual of version 2.1.99-SNAPSHOT this clearly
shows that we do publish the documentation of the current release.
>    * ability to modify several pages at once
May be intersting sometimes for search and replace in all the documentation
>    * ability to better track contributions
To really track the contribution before people are committers you need
jiras. Btw a jira is the only way people can submit patches as of now.
So while this sounds good it means that for a fixed typo. You would need
to :
- create a jira issue
- Describe what you want to do
- Checkout the source.
- find the source file that corresponds to the web page
- Make the change
- Test the change with maven
- Create a patch
- submit the patch to jira
- Wait till someone takes the issue
The committer will:
- assing himself to the issue
- update the source
- apply the patch
- test with maven
- commit
Whoever sync the website will:
- update the source
- call a sync script

So I think these are about 16 steps. I think the time from idea to
visible change will be about 10 to 20 days. Three people are involved
typically.

In confluence the contributor does:
- click edit page
- make the change
- save

This takes seconds and only one person is involved.

If the change is bad someone will spot using the subscription and corect
the change.
> On the last one, I actually think giving people modification rights is
> not necessarily a good idea.
> People should be able to become committers but simply contributing
> doc.  Do you monitor all the doc changes on cxf / camel made by non
> committers ? And actually, how many modifications are we talking about
> ?
I too think that people should be able to become committers by changing
documentation. Tracking the changes in confluence is no big problem.
Using the subscription changes from someone will be highly visible. So
committers will notice and can vote for the person.
There is even a nice activity view for a contributor:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/~christian+schneider

Btw talking about numbers. svnsearch tracks nicely how much was committed:
http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?from=20110301&path=%2Fkaraf%2Ftrunk%2Fmanual

So it seems we only had 18 commits to the manual since first of march. I
think this is not much.
Sadly I can not see the statistics in the wiki as I do not have the rights.

> Last, we had a vote on that a few months ago, so please go read the
> discussions, as Jean-Baptiste explained, we had some discussions and
> came to a conclusion ...  We were using cwiki until a few months.
I will read the discussion there. So perhaps if now is a bad time we
could simply revisit the decision in half a year and review if it was good.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks for your feedback Claus.

It confirms that our current solution looks the right one !!

Maybe we can work on the documentation look and feel but it's another topic.

+1 to keep as we are now ;)

Regards
JB

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 17 June 2011 11:46, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:03, Christian Schneider
> <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>> Hi Claus,
>>
>> great that you weigh in with your experience from camel. You do a lot of
>> documentation changes so I trust you know how the wiki feels in practice.
>> You should also try the process in suversion though. I think it looks much
>> more appealing until you do it.
>>
>> The different version are a big problem of course. But the downside of
>> subversion in this case would be that you would either have to port every
>> change that applies to all versions back to each version or you would loose
>> these changes in the older documentations.
>
> You should try git really.   It helps a lot on those problems.

FWIW I used to really detest branches & tried to avoid them at all
costs. Thanks to git I now really like branches & find myself using
them more and more :)

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration and Messaging

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Hi Claus,
>
> great that you weigh in with your experience from camel. You do a lot of
> documentation changes so I trust you know how the wiki feels in practice.
> You should also try the process in suversion though. I think it looks much
> more appealing until you do it.
>
> The different version are a big problem of course. But the downside of
> subversion in this case would be that you would either have to port every
> change that applies to all versions back to each version or you would loose
> these changes in the older documentations.

You should try git really.   It helps a lot on those problems.

> I think the solution for camel in the wiki is to clearly define which
> versions we support and remove the depreacted documentation. Of course we
> can keep a pdf of the old documentation for people who use older versions.
>
> Still your points sure have value and I think they show that it would not
> make sense to revert to wiki right now. But I think it makes sense to
> revisit the decision after some time to see if the advantages of subversion
> based docu really outweigh the problems.
>
> Christian
>
> Am 17.06.2011 11:09, schrieb Claus Ibsen:
>>
>> Actually I envy Karaf since you have made the transition from
>> confluence to scalate (eg docs in svn).
>>
>> Maintaining the Camel wiki documentation is becoming a problem with
>> the sheer number of releases we have.
>> It starts to become a lot of .. if you use Camel version X then bla
>> bla, but if you use version Y then bla bla, or if version Z then bla
>> bla.
>> This is not convenient for end users of Camel to read the
>> documentation in this manner.
>>

>> And since Camel 1.x is EOL we still have documentation that only
>> applies for that release. Its frankly a big task to go over all the
>> wiki pages and remove any obsolete documentation.
>>
>> And in terms of contributions by people who have edit rights to wiki
>> pages and does some changes, then thats a very small number. Maybe
>> once a month. Likewise with people who comment on the wiki pages.
>>
>> Instead having the documentation in svn is a big +1 IMHO. And I would
>> love that we did this transition in Camel.
>>
>> And we had a discussion about this last year. And Hadrian wrote up a
>> summary of that
>> http://camel.apache.org/site-update-ideas.html

> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I like both approaches the same. I consider the benefits of one over the
other minor.

What its really important to me is the content. I find Camel documentation
sexy not because of the (wiki, svn etc), but because of the hard work the
riders put in it.
So, I would propose to stop arguing on what its best and start documenting
like there is no tomorrow ;-)

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
*

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Claus,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
JB, Guillaume,

this is all very true and I think it is the best solution for it right now.
I only think that we need to improve on the documentation.

1) Add the current trunk-documentation
--> the nightly build should somehow generate it and add it to the
page or something the like :-)

2) Some special pages, like contributor and the roadmap need a better
"place" in the page.

Thanks, Achim

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

I have no problem to discuss about that and submit to a vote.

First, a quick history about that :)

On both Karaf and ServiceMix, we had (and still have) documentation
requirements with a multi-format outputs (PDF, HTML) and professional
look'n feel.
Another requirement is to be able to "link" the documentation with a
specific Karaf version. The documentation could be widely different
between Karaf 2.1.x and Karaf 3.0.x for instance.

Starting with these requirements, we discussed around:
1/ usage of the Apache confluence wiki to store the documentation and
use of an "external" tool (such as Prince) to extract content from the
wiki and generate the document output (PDF). It looks like the way it
does in Camel.
2/ usage of DocBook directly into the Karaf svn repo
3/ usage of Scalate directly into the Karaf svn repo

Here's the conclusions that we had regarding the previous points:
1/ it seems that the Apache confluence wiki future is not really clear.
There were discussion around Apache CMS, cwiki EOL, etc.
If we "invest" a lot in the documentation on the wiki, it could "cost" a
lot very soon depending of the cwiki future. That's why we voted to not
use directly cwiki.
2/ DocBook is XML document, very rich namespace but no always easy (I
don't say that as I love DocBook but it's the feedback that we got ;)).
3/ Scalate documentation was the choice because the syntax is really
close to wiki and the mechanism is like DocBook document generation. So
it's like a solution in the middle.

To be honest, I was more on 2/ or 3/ at the beginning. But, when I see
the Camel documentation and website, I'm quite around to revert my point
of view ;). It's clear that Karaf (and ServiceMix, that's why I added
ServiceMix dev mailing list in copy of this e-mail) documentation and
website could be managed in the same way that Camel does.

My only concern is that we decide to move back to cwiki (I don't mind to
make the effort, I will do it), we need to have a clear view about the
cwiki future and relationship with Apache CMS.

I'm sure that the ASF members could provide us more information:
@gnodet, @dkulp ?

Regards
JB

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Perhaps the account where jenkins runs has a ssh key. Then we could
allow this key on the server. I think infra could do such a thing in
their settings.xml.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Good morning all,

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

this might be a good place to put in the wiki, as long as it isn't
disabled. That way we can keep our "non-Versioned" documentation
from beeing updated through a build process (kind of a overhead)
just embed this stuff like the "Roadmap" in the Main Page.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Achim

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
would be quite useful if the nightly builds really work! Definitely +1
for the hudson setup

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1,

and we can also add a maven goal execution to update website/manual.

Regards
JB

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Am 17.06.2011 12:53, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:

> Over the last 5 years, I've rarely seen people contributing a lot to
> the doc without being or becoming committers.
> I don't want to change a technical decision based on the fact that
> people *might* need something, but rather what people actually need.
> You are a committer, so you can access / modify the documentation
> without any problems.  So what are your real problems with the current
> solution ?  We can easily set up nightly uploads or even an hourly
> cron job (though given the change rate, i think a nightly one should
> be sufficient).   If you need an editor, you always find some software
> I think such as
> http://www.labnol.org/software/wysiwyg-wiki-editor/18062/ though I
> tend to use the "mvn jetty:run" which works quite well as you can see
> your changes immediately.
For me as a committer now it is ok. I also do not have problems with
editing wiki syntax text files by hand. After reading all the comments I
think that
the solution is good for now. I just fear that we might not really
attract people to help. But you are right people who just work on the
documentation are rare anyway.

It would be great if we could establish an automatic update of the
website for trunk and the current production branch. Ideal would be a
script like in jenkins that only fires when there are real changes then
it can be run in very short cycles. Btw. How about using jenkins to
update the website? The update just has to be callable from maven and we
have to authenticate in some way. Jenkins would also allow to track when
and why updates have beem done.

> The main problem is that we've been asked by infra to get rid of
> confluence, so I certainly don't want to think about getting back to
> confluence unless infra retracts.
Yes I also heard about this. I would really like to know what the plans
are in respect to confluence.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1
Yes I would also like to have a nightly build of the documentation from
trunk.
Additionally we should have a nightly build of the current production
branch (2.x in our case).

A build of the docs on release is also good but I think more important
is the branch as this allows us to fix problems in the documentation
after a release.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hey,

> [...]

> the doc without being or becoming committers.
> I don't want to change a technical decision based on the fact that
> people *might* need something, but rather what people actually need.
> You are a committer, so you can access / modify the documentation
> without any problems.  So what are your real problems with the current
> solution ?  We can easily set up nightly uploads or even an hourly
> cron job (though given the change rate, i think a nightly one should
> be sufficient).   If you need an editor, you always find some software
> I think such as
> http://www.labnol.org/software/wysiwyg-wiki-editor/18062/ though I
> tend to use the "mvn jetty:run" which works quite well as you can see
> your changes immediately.
>
> The main problem is that we've been asked by infra to get rid of
> confluence, so I certainly don't want to think about getting back to

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 17 June 2011 09:19, Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> I know that I have proposed this before and then got the answer that this
> was discussed already. Still I have the feeling that everybody dislikes the
> current way we build our website.... so again a try :-)...

I'm not sure you realise how much dislike there is for wikis?

> I would even go a step farther and do as much of the website on the wiki as
> possible. Dan Kulp has written an exporter script that syncs the wiki to
> static pages so the admins can live with it.

I've now worked on many OSS projects over the years and I can honestly
say wikis are a huge PITA for managing open source documentation &
websites. Its a great example of theory not matching practice.

IMHO the wiki should be for user submitted content which then gets
merged into source control and versioned & branched. You rarely ever
get much user submitted content anyway; most of the hard work is done
by the committers; who generally prefer to use things like, source
control, branching, merging, a text editor or an IDE! To be able to do
things like, grep, search & replace. Or wacky things like hack
documentation when on a plane. Commit documentation *with* code
changes so they are always in sync; so you can be documenting
experimental features in trunk or merging docs from production
releases to trunk etc.

So use a wiki for arbitrary user submitted content (you're still open
to any contribution from non committers); then let committers use the
best tools they have - source control & powerful editors to merge
contributions into versioned releases & versioned documentation sites;
so user get the documentation which actually matches their exact
version & pages are not littered with "if you are on version X then...
else if version Y then...." like the Camel pages are for example.

[...]

So I'm tempted to suggest, to simplify things - just scrap the wiki
entirely. If you had the choice of submitting content to a source
control system or a wiki; I suspect plenty of contributors would go
for the github route as its easier & lets folks get started
contributing immediately with the best tools available without waiting
for some humans to read emails and do stuff; there's no pestering
people to get access just to be able to write some text files in a web
browser (which isn't ideal anyway).

Though that might be a little to radical for some who still like the
concept of a wiki despite its huge practical flaws, so how about we
say, use source control for the main documentation & site then have a
wiki as the 'wishing well' so we can hope that one day some
non-committers come along and chuck useful stuff in there. If they do,
great, we can merge it into source control for the relevant release
they're talking about. If not, its just another thing for infra to
maintain.

--
James
-------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi James,

Am 17.06.2011 11:24, schrieb James Strachan:

> Using a text area in a web browser is more accessible than editing a
> file on a file system? Or do you imagine folks are gonna come along
> who totally grok complex technology like OSGi containers or ESB stuff;
> but who can't grasp source control and editing files?
The problem is not the text editor. It is the number of steps needed to
edit the documentation. Especially as a non committer it is quite
frustrating.
Please seem my answer to guillaume´s mail. There I described how many
steps and people you need to do a small change on the documentation.
>> The other thing is that while it may seem the documentation is linked to a
>> certain version this is not true in practice. For example it is quite common
>> release a functionality and refine the documentation for it later.
> You can do that too; you can have documentation branches and merge
> things from code<->  doc branches as and when required. Have a
> 'current website' branch and choose what gets updated when.
This sounds nice in theory and I also voted to do documentation this way
in a project at my former employer. The problem was that the
documentation that flourished nicely in the wiki started to starve when
we changed to subversion. Only developers were making changes the user
did not a single change.
While they participated nicely in the wiki.

In the end we found that most people are interested in the most current
documentation. Sometimes it will not reflect their perhaps old version
of the software anymore
but at least they know it is the most current one and all the experience
from for example mailing list discussions went into it.
>> The third thing is that the confluence wiki is the only solution I know that
>> has a decent support for creating grahpics for the documentation (gliffy
>> http://www.gliffy.com/).
> Oh please. Seriously? jpg, gif, visio, omnigraffle, graphviz... You
> can't think of any way of making some graphics and checking them into
> source code?
The problem is not with checking them into the code. The problem is the
whole workflow. You have to edit the file with your grahpical tool, save
it, call some conversion
process to make it viewable on the web. Then this conversion process has
to be created at first. You also have to install the grahpical tool
first. There is no readily available solution.
In confluence you click on the diagram. Gliffy opens and when you save,
it is visible to everyone. That is a completely different experience.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 17 June 2011 09:58, Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Hi Achim,
>
> in theory I like creating documentation from the same source as the code.
> The ability to version it together sounds appealing.
>
> The problem is that some things are different to code:
>
> People who write documentation are often different from developers. So they
> often prefer more accessible tools.

Using a text area in a web browser is more accessible than editing a
file on a file system? Or do you imagine folks are gonna come along
who totally grok complex technology like OSGi containers or ESB stuff;
but who can't grasp source control and editing files?

> The other thing is that while it may seem the documentation is linked to a
> certain version this is not true in practice. For example it is quite common
> release a functionality and refine the documentation for it later.

You can do that too; you can have documentation branches and merge
things from code <-> doc branches as and when required. Have a
'current website' branch and choose what gets updated when.

> The third thing is that the confluence wiki is the only solution I know that
> has a decent support for creating grahpics for the documentation (gliffy
> http://www.gliffy.com/).

Oh please. Seriously? jpg, gif, visio, omnigraffle, graphviz... You
can't think of any way of making some graphics and checking them into
source code?

> Those graphics can really improve documentation.

Sure, graphics rock. Not liking wikis for opens source project
documentation doesn't mean you don't like pictures.

> With text files in subversion I do not know any simple way to achieve the
> same.

I heard they figured out how to store binary files too in source
control. Did you know you can check them in if you want to?

--
James
-------

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Achim,

in theory I like creating documentation from the same source as the
code. The ability to version it together sounds appealing.

The problem is that some things are different to code:

People who write documentation are often different from developers. So
they often prefer more accessible tools.
The other thing is that while it may seem the documentation is linked to
a certain version this is not true in practice. For example it is quite
common to
release a functionality and refine the documentation for it later. So
while you do not want the code to change after it is released you often
want the documentation to
change.
The third thing is that the confluence wiki is the only solution I know
that has a decent support for creating grahpics for the documentation
(gliffy http://www.gliffy.com/). Those graphics can really improve
documentation. With text files in subversion I do not know any simple
way to achieve the same.

I am not even too sure about the requirement for sveral outputs. I think
almost all users of camel and cxf use the web instead of the pdf
version. So I am not sure how much value this other format has.

Christian

Am 17.06.2011 10:37, schrieb Achim Nierbeck:
> Hi Christian,
>
> nice Try :-)
>
> actually I like the way the page works right now, it's just something
> that needs a bit more "tweaking".
>
> I'd rather see the current process enhance a bit. The generation of
> HTML and PDF out of the documentation
> in code, I rather like. This way the documentation is "closer" to the code.
>
> It's just that certain pages which are more dynamic than the manual
> could be written in Confluence and
> be "subpaged"
>
> another thing I would like to see is a "trunk based" documentation to
> show the current documentation
> this way People are closer to the current development.
>
> Regards, Achim

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Christian,

2011/6/17 Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>:
> I know that I have proposed this before and then got the answer that this
> was discussed already. Still I have the feeling that everybody dislikes the
> current way we build our website.... so again a try :-)...
>
> I would even go a step farther and do as much of the website on the wiki as
> possible. Dan Kulp has written an exporter script that syncs the wiki to
> static pages so the admins can live with it.
>
> I think we have to try to make the website and documentation as open as
> possible. The wiki allows us to give editing right to anyone with a valid
> icla. That is much more accessible than the current site.
> Additionally any change can be seen right after the change on the wiki. I
> think that is a big motivation. Currently you have to submit a patch for the
> website and wait for someone to commit it and then for someeone else to sync
> it to the web. This process can take months sometimes. That is quite
> frustrating and I am sure it is the reason why we have so few updates to the
> site and documentation.
> Another nice thing of the wiki is that it is a first step of contribution
> below submitting patches. So people can come in contact with the project
> gradually.
>
> Of course the wiki has the problem that it is not synched to the releases
> but in cxf and camel this is also not the case. Still it works well there.
> The way to couple the documentation to releases is to note for example which
> attribute of a command has been introduced in which version. This is niot
> perfect but works quite well in practice.
>
> Christian
>

> Am 17.06.2011 09:46, schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré:
>>
>> Agree Andreas,
>>
>> I think that:
>> - link to the wiki "cap" page in the community area of the website
>> - wiki pages as children of the "cap" page
>>
>> is the most efficient way.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>
> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect
> http://www.talend.com

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey,