Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shashank Agarwal <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/14 05:38:04 UTC

Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Hey Guys,

I have two different hadoop clusters in production. One cluster is used as
backing for HBase and the other for other things. Both hadoop clusters are
using the same version 1.0 and I want to merge them and make them one. I
know, one possible solution is to copy the data across, but the data is
really huge on these clusters and it will hard for me to compromise with
huge downtime.
Is there any optimal way to merge two hadoop clusters.

~Shashank

Re: Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
> I have two different hadoop clusters in production. One cluster is used as
> backing for HBase and the other for other things. Both hadoop clusters are
> using the same version 1.0 and I want to merge them and make them one. I
> know, one possible solution is to copy the data across, but the data is
> really huge on these clusters and it will hard for me to compromise with
> huge downtime.
> Is there any optimal way to merge two hadoop clusters.

This is not a supported feature. Hence this activity would require
understanding low level Hadoop details, quite a bit of hacking and is not
straightforward. Copying data from the clusters is the simplest solution.

Re: Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Posted by al...@aim.com.
Are those clusters located in separate  LANs?

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Like Vivek and Vinod are saying, using distcp might be the solution.

But you need to make sure you have enought free space in one cluster
to received the data from the other one. If you don't have, you might
need to re-assign some on the nodes from one cluster to the other one
to "concentrate" the free space on a singlue cluster, then to the
migration? That was you will not have any down-time. But you need to
make sure nother is written on the cluster you are migrating to not
miss any data.

JM

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by vivek <vi...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks and Regards,

VIVEK KOUL

Re: Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Posted by vivek <vi...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks and Regards,

VIVEK KOUL

Re: Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Posted by vivek <vi...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks and Regards,

VIVEK KOUL

Re: Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Posted by vivek <vi...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks and Regards,

VIVEK KOUL

Re: Regarding: Merging two hadoop clusters

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Lake Chang <la...@gmail.com>.
Actually I have the same question. Can anyone please kindly give a solution?

Thanks,
- Aaron

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.