Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/01/09 18:04:26 UTC

classloader status?

Hi Craig, any status?

Maybe you can point me at the right place to look?

thanks,

-jon

----------
From: Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:37:41 -0800
To: <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/ROOT index.html

on 1/5/2001 8:52 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>
wrote:

> That is not a provably correct assertion, given that it works on every test
> case
> I have concocted so far.
>
> Even if there is something in Turbine that makes it not work, that can be
> dealt
> with subsequent to b1.  It's not like this is the last release or anything
> :-).

Ok, I have found like 4 bugs in as many days and you still don't believe me
on these things. :-)

here we go again:

#1. check out scarab
#2. build it; start tomcat
#3. goto: http://localhost:8080/scarab/servlet/scarab/template/Register.vm
#4. hit "Register"
#5. edit scarab/target/webapps/scarab/templates/Register.vm
Add anywhere in the template:
$data.getUser().setTemp("foo", "bar")

#6. hit "Register"
#7. touch
scarab/target/webapps/scarab/WEB-INF/classes/org/tigris/scarab/actions/*.cla
ss
#7. change the above line to:
$data.getUser().getTemp("foo")
#8. hit "Register"

Notice that you see the data you entered in #7. That is because Velocity
wasn't able to introspect and find a result for "foo" because it doesn't
exist in the session any longer.

$data.getUser() returns an object that has been placed into the HttpSession

This isn't Turbine that is broken as this same stuff worked fine in JServ
and Tomcat 3.x. It is definitely Catalina.

love,

-jon

Re: classloader status?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
OK, I've been playing with the scenario below ... and as far as I can tell,
session reloading works correctly.  To aid in experimentation, I've added some
instrumentation so that you can log debugging detail messages related to it.  The
attached log file is what I get when executing your steps below against Scarab
with the following server.xml entry:

        <Context path="/scarab" docBase="scarab" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true">
                     prefix="scarab_log." suffix=".txt"
                  timestamp="true"/>
          <Manager debug="99"/>
        </Context>

As you can see from the log, the session attribute "turbine.user" is saved and
then reloaded, but nothing else.  What else would you expect to see here?

Craig