Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2002/09/18 00:16:16 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Promote NET to commons proper was Release Plans

"Juozas Baliuka" <ba...@mwm.lt> writes:
>It is true developer community is not very large, but I think user community
>is not so small,
>and I know they are waiting for release (I know two of them personaly).
>I can add myself to initial committers list, but I do not think it needs
>more committers at this time.

If you have previously submitted a patch or intend to assist in development,
I'd ask that you add yourself as a committer.  The software moved into
the sandbox as a complete package (although not as a complete
commons-conventions-compliant package), which is always a hindrance because
users are so used to being users that they don't always think to contribute.
For example, whoever started this whole discussion is a user who is very
anxious to have a packaged up proper release to replace NetComponents v1.3.8.
Instead of submitting patches or directly committing all of the changes
necessary to bring the packaging into compliance with Commons requirements
for a vote, he passed the buck to Jeff.  If every developer using NetComponents
I've seen pass the buck were like Jeff and just did something about stuff
instead of counting on someone else doing it, the committer list would be
quite long.  Now, I'm not being quite fair because there were a good number
of patches submitted before the NetComponents users voted to seek a move to
the sandbox under Jeff's leadership.  Perhaps some of these developers
need to be convinced to deal with the volume of email on commons-dev.
I finally changed my subscription to digest mode and am aware that the
high traffic of commons-dev has scared away a number of people, but
it really is quite manageable in digest mode.

daniel

Re: [VOTE] Promote NET to commons proper was Release Plans

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.
I see single problem with this component ( unit tests ), It is not trivial
to test
protocol implementation like SMTP, but I will try to find some ways.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>