Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Chris Barlock <ba...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/06/21 20:39:15 UTC

AdminUtils

While working on upgrading from 0.8.2.1 to 0.10.0.0, I found out that
AdminUtils has changed -- and not in a backwards-compatible manner.  I
gather this is not a public API since I can't find any Javadoc for it. So,
in 0.10.0.0 are there public replacements for:

AdminUtils.fetchTopicMetadataFromZk
AdminUtils.topicExists
AdminUtils.createTopic
AdminUtils.deleteTopic

?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: AdminUtils

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations

> Until this is available, I think I'm stuck with
> AdminUtils.  Is there any (java)doc available for it, or am I going to
> have to dig through the scala files and figure out what has changed?

You can generate the scaladoc yourself, but it's probably less work to just
look at the file:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/core/src/main/scala/kafka/admin/AdminUtils.scala

Ismael

Re: AdminUtils

Posted by Chris Barlock <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Ismael:

What is KIP-4?  Until this is available, I think I'm stuck with
AdminUtils.  Is there any (java)doc available for it, or am I going to
have to dig through the scala files and figure out what has changed?  The
new REST interface is a possibility, but, if I recall, it does not
support, at least, createTopic.

Chris

IBM Middleware
Research Triangle Park, NC
(919) 224-2240
Internet:  barlock@us.ibm.com

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/21/2016 05:47 PM
Subject:        Re: AdminUtils
Sent by:        ismaelj@gmail.com

Hi Chris,

Yes, `AdminUtils` is not public API. The plan is to introduce
`AdminClient`
as part of KIP-4.

The Kafka protocol additions for `createTopic` and `deleteTopic` are
currently being discussed and it looks like they will be part of the next
Kafka release based on current progress.

The API of `AdminClient` hasn't been discussed yet, but it should be
possible to support the methods you mentioned. Maybe you can provide your
feedback as the KIP-4 discussions happen in kafka-dev?

Ismael

Re: AdminUtils

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Chris,