Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/04 16:18:13 UTC

Can't Escape the CAPTCHA Cats on MIki

Was trying to edit the QA page to add a link to the @AOOBugs twitter
account.   When I go to save I'm prompted with a dialog and a message:

"Your edit includes new external links. To help protect against
automated spam, please select just the cat photos in the box below:"

Although I lack advanced degrees in zoology or veterinary medicine, I
am somewhat familiar with the differences between canine and feline
species.  But I cannot seem to get past this screen.  Every time I
select the cats and then try to submit the edits, I'm returned back to
the same CAPTCHA dialog.  No error messages.

Any ideas?

-Rob

Re: Can't Escape the CAPTCHA Cats on MIki

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> I am no expert, but when I select the wrong number of cats and press "save
> page" I get an error message, asking me to select all cats.
>
> When I select the correct number of cats, and press "save page", I get no
> error message but are returned to the page with the updated content.
>
> It is funny though, because now that I did it again (with another url) I
> did not get any cats at all. Are you a sysop, maybe that is a difference ?
>
> I also checked the security, I cannot see any special limitations for
> external links.
>
> But I think this is one where people like TJ can give a far better answer
> than I am able to.
>
> There is another difference, I have a "save page", no "submit page" as you
> have.
>
> Sorry for not being able to solve your problem.
>
> Rgds
> jan I

I will have to try this...what a funny conversation! But I love cats, so I
will do as Jan suggests and select them all. :) LOL!!!!

> On 4 January 2013 17:02, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > HI
> > >
> > > I will NOT judge skills detecting animals, but I just added a link to
> > > www.apache.org on my own talk page
> > >
> > > There might, of course, be errors in the setup, I am just human :-)
> > >
> > > But did you refresh your page, if you use a cached one then that could
> be
> > > the explanation.
> > >

> > I refreshed after I logged in, otherwise it was not showing me as logged
> > in.
> >
> > Should I be seeing some sort of "validate" or "submit" button that is
> > different than the "save page" buttom at the bottom of the page?  I'm
> > selecting the cats and then click the "submit page" at the bottom.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > > rgds
> > > jan I.

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                                                         --
Aesop

Re: Can't Escape the CAPTCHA Cats on MIki

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
HI

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Dave,

I use German Seamonkey on WinXP.

Kind regards
Regina

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/6 janI <ja...@apache.org>

>  @Rob
>
> If you see cats now your browser has a problem.
>
> I changed the configuration so there are not cats.

At least with Chromium, sometimes it is not enough to refresh the page to
see changes: I need to clean the browser's cache. This happens only with
mwiki, though.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
 @Rob

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

On 01/06/2013 01:12 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
> <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:
>> Make no mistake, everything appeared to be working just fine. I only
>> mentioned this because Rob had trouble identifying cats... and at least one
>> photo is a bit ambiguous.
>>
> Each time I fail I'm given a different set of pictures. I tried 6
> times in a row and failed each time. So I think there is more
> happening here than just an occasional ambiguous picture.
>
> A question:  for those who report this is working correctly for them,
> are you seeing a "validate" or other button associated with the
> CAPTCHA?   Or are you scrolling down to the "page submit" button at
> the bottom of the page?
>
> -Rob

I just created a new account, and I clicked on the submit (or whatever
it was) button, not a validate button.
I selected all of the cats, no problem. I liked that when the mouse
cursor hovered over the images, a large version was displayed.

I am using firefox on Linux.

andrew Pitonyak

Re: Can't Escape the CAPTCHA Cats on MIki

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
thx. for your comment.

Jan i.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Thanks..... User fails for me, so I am creating a test user. waiting on
email confirmation :-)

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi "TJ",

thanks. I can now write it without the CAPTCHA. For my work it is OK.
Hopefully you find a general solution too.

Kind regards
Regina

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.