Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/06/26 12:01:46 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon/src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/thread SingleThreaded.java ThreadSafe.java

-1

The small license doesn't protect us effectively.
Following the cleanup of jars, Cocoon changed this license for the same
reason.

You haven't -1d the commit Berin did.
If you don't like this, ask the PMC.

Please revert this commit.

donaldp@apache.org wrote:
> donaldp     2002/06/26 02:22:20
>
>   Modified:    .        LICENSE.txt
>                src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework CascadingError.java
>                         CascadingException.java
>                         CascadingRuntimeException.java
>                         CascadingThrowable.java Enum.java
>                         ExceptionUtil.java ValuedEnum.java Version.java
>                src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/activity
>                         Disposable.java Executable.java Initializable.java

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: License Header.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> IANAL.
>
> I would like as short a message as possible. I would also like a lawyer
> to decide which message is satisfactory (are you a lawyer). If there is
> no decisive assessment as to what is safe, I would like to be on the
> good side of safe.
>
> I do *not* think that this discussion should take place on avalon-dev. I
> object to voting on the subject where it is apparantly unclear what
> choices have been given to us by the PMC, if we indeed have a choice.
>
> This is not something for a subproject to decide. Any change from
> current standard jakarta practice (and I think the short version is
> common) should be discussed in the appropriate forum.

Agreed. Any legal decision *must* take place at the PMC level.

This community (nor a single committer or ASF member) doesn't have the
legal right to change the policy of the Jakarta PMC and the Jakarta PMC
(along with all other PMCs) was specifically instructed *not* to allow
licensing boilerplating *before* the Apache 2.0 license was ratified by
the ASF Board.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not: this is *NOT* something we
control.

The ASF gives legal protection to you and the ASF works really hard (and
pays laywers sometimes!) to test legal decisions.

If you want to remain under the ASF umbrella, you have to follow its
rules.

If you don't like such policies, you can either fight to change them or
leave. Up to you.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: License Header.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> If people are dead set against the long form, then the modified
> short form would be a comfortable compromize.

Berin, the ASF has a specific policy: only code under the apache license
is developped on the apache CVS.

And the Apache license 1.1 was not designed to be equally protecting
from a legal standpoint if used in boilerplated form (unlike the GPL and
the Apache license 2.0 which were designed with *that* in mind).

Result: the ASF board, to avoid confusion, wants everybody to stick with
the full license until the new license is out.

Now: nobody here has the power to change that decision and if he wants
to challenge it (I tried in the past with Cocoon and failed), waste your
energy and ask "board@apache.org".

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: License Header.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> IANAL.
>
> I would like as short a message as possible. I would also
> like a lawyer to decide which message is satisfactory (are
> you a lawyer). If there is no decisive assessment as to what
> is safe, I would like to be on the good side of safe.
>
> I do *not* think that this discussion should take place on
> avalon-dev. I object to voting on the subject where it is
> apparantly unclear what choices have been given to us by the
> PMC, if we indeed have a choice.
>
> This is not something for a subproject to decide. Any change
> from current standard jakarta practice (and I think the short
> version is
> common) should be discussed in the appropriate forum.

My point is this:

1) Peter just doesn't want a long header.  I don't blame him,
   but the license is not *that* long.

2) The short form of the license *does not* address the viewing
   of that java source outside of a distribution.  We have a
   way of looking at the source code here in Apache land without
   seeing the LICENSE.txt file.

Resolution:

A) Use the long header anyway.

B) Use the modified short form that points the reader to the
   license even if the file is separated from the distribution.

It's a touchy subject, I realize.  The fact is most Apache source
code has the long form.  We are one of the last remaining holdouts.
I honestly think the short form as written does not cover our
butts sufficiently.  The modified short form does a better job (it
provides the same information, but in a better way).

Re: License Header.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
IANAL.

I would like as short a message as possible. I would also like a lawyer
to decide which message is satisfactory (are you a lawyer). If there is
no decisive assessment as to what is safe, I would like to be on the
good side of safe.

I do *not* think that this discussion should take place on avalon-dev. I
object to voting on the subject where it is apparantly unclear what
choices have been given to us by the PMC, if we indeed have a choice.

This is not something for a subproject to decide. Any change from
current standard jakarta practice (and I think the short version is
common) should be discussed in the appropriate forum.

regards,

- Leo Simons

License Header.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:01, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> The small license doesn't protect us effectively.

Thats false.

> Following the cleanup of jars, Cocoon changed this license for the same
> reason.
>
> You haven't -1d the commit Berin did.

just did.

> If you don't like this, ask the PMC.