Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2013/02/26 09:00:10 UTC

[DISCUSS] Comments on html docs and apidocs

Hi folks,

At the Barcamp before ApacheCon someone showed off the
comments.apache.org system.
Essentially it allows you to embed discussion threads in otherwise
static documentation. Disqus is a similar commercial tool.

I quickly generated the 4.1 APIDocs after adding the comment snippet
to the base (and yes it will need some polish)

You can try this out on the root admin api calls here (none of the
domain admin or user api calls pages have the code):
http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/apidocs

In Example:
http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/apidocs/root_admin/listNetworkOfferings.html

You can leave comments etc.

We had a similar system on the old docs.cloudstack.org - and I was
personally not a fan - people left messages/questions/etc; and
received little or no response. This system has the ability to notify
a mailing list (I know, another way of generating email :) ) of each
comment. And I'd personally be the first person to rip this out if
it's neglected. Often times though, annotating existing documentation
can be helpful. I'd consider this on the html docs on
incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/docs as well if it works well on the
API stuff.

Thoughts?
Do you think we can keep up with the comments? Push folks asking
questions to the user list, cultivate the content, etc?

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Comments on html docs and apidocs

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.
The problem with the comment feature on the old site wasn't simple neglect.
People posted mostly support questions, which should have been sent to the
-users list or the commercial support dept (both commercial and OSS users
shared the site).

The old site did have the capability to fwd comments to anyone's email
in-bin. The people cc'd may have neglected these emails, or may have
responded directly to the person without posting followups to the docs site
(in which case it would appear to someone like Sebastien that the commenter
was never helped).

The commenters were mostly people who seemingly weren't aware of the
already existing channels for getting technical help. Hardly anyone posted
any comments or questions about the docs themselves.

So, if we add this, it might turn out we just need to cc all the comments
to the -users and -dev lists, or wherever "help me!" questions should
ordinarily go.

Jessica T.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.