Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/30 14:48:13 UTC

Re: XML with large text entries are broken down to chunks when parsing with Axiom - non-coalescing mode.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When parsing XML in non-coalescing mode ("javax.xml.stream.isCoalescing",
> false) Axiom breaks down large text entries to multiple chunks. Therefore
> CDATA
> elements with lengthy texts get translated into multiple CDATA elements.

Folks, is this a bug? This behavior is causing some complications with
Synapse. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hiranya

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Software Engineer;

Re: XML with large text entries are broken down to chunks when parsing with Axiom - non-coalescing mode.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't see how it could be a bug. Any XML parser is permitted to
> split these things for it's own convenience, it doesn't change the
> infoset.

Then the problem is in the way how we have used the Axiom API. We currently
use the following bit of code to extract the text content from an element.
Text content is wrapped in a CDATA element.

OMNode nodeValue = elem.getFirstOMChild();
String text = ((OMText) nodeValue).getText().trim();

If the CDATA element gets translated into multiple CDATA elements the above
code will return the text of the first CDATA element only. Rest of the text
is lost.

If we use the following code instead things seem to work fine:

String text = elem.getText();

Is is ok to use the getText() method as shown above to retrieve CDATA
content?

Thanks,
Hiranya

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Software Engineer;

Re: XML with large text entries are broken down to chunks when parsing with Axiom - non-coalescing mode.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.