Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Peter Cawley <co...@corsix.org> on 2009/03/22 23:09:14 UTC

mod_lua and GSoC 2009

Hello all,

As the Google Summer of Code 2008 work on mod_lua (then mod_wombat)
never materialized, I'd like to work on it this year as a GSoC
project. I've written a preliminary proposal at
http://corsix.org/gsoc/lua_apr.html , however I'm slightly concerned
that it may take me less than the full 12 weeks of GSoC to complete
this. Hence I'd like to pose two questions to people interested in
mod_lua:
* Would you be interested in mentoring a GSoC project on mod_lua?
* Is there anything else which you think could be done to mod_lua
within the scope of GSoC?

Thanks,
Peter Cawley

Re: mod_lua and GSoC 2009

Posted by Bertrand Mansion <bm...@mamasam.net>.
Hi Peter,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Peter Cawley <co...@corsix.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As the Google Summer of Code 2008 work on mod_lua (then mod_wombat)
> never materialized, I'd like to work on it this year as a GSoC
> project.

That would be excellent !

> I've written a preliminary proposal at
> http://corsix.org/gsoc/lua_apr.html , however I'm slightly concerned
> that it may take me less than the full 12 weeks of GSoC to complete
> this.

Well, this already looks like a lot to me. You might also have to deal
with bugs in apr...

> Hence I'd like to pose two questions to people interested in
> mod_lua:
> * Would you be interested in mentoring a GSoC project on mod_lua?

If no one steps in, I would be interested although I think I am less
skilled than you so maybe other mod_lua contributors might be better.

> * Is there anything else which you think could be done to mod_lua
> within the scope of GSoC?

It is also missing a way to deal with POST and multipart forms.
Functions used from util_script.c should be moved directly into
mod_lua IMO and should be corrected (used add instead of set for the
arguments, correct the DoS, ...). I would be happy to participate if
needed, but I am not as fluent in Lua as you although I am improving
:)

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam

Re: mod_lua and GSoC 2009

Posted by Bertrand Mansion <bm...@mamasam.net>.
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Matthew M. Burke <mm...@gwu.edu> wrote:
> Peter Cawley wrote:
>>
>> Hence I'd like to pose two questions to people interested in
>> mod_lua:
>> * Would you be interested in mentoring a GSoC project on mod_lua?
>> * Is there anything else which you think could be done to mod_lua
>> within the scope of GSoC?
>>

> 1. Yes
> 2. The last time I tried it, mod_lua would not work with LuaRocks
> (www.luarocks.org).  I didn't get around to exploring why it didn't work,
> but I don't think it would be anything too problematic.  It would be quite
> useful to get them working together.

Hi, mod_lua works with luarocks, for me at least. Actually, it has
always been working, even when it was called mod_wombat so maybe it is
related to your configuration (package.path ?) or maybe some rocks you
use are not compatible with apache, I remember Peter having problems
with luasocket and mentioning it in another email.

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam

Re: mod_lua and GSoC 2009

Posted by "Matthew M. Burke" <mm...@gwu.edu>.
Peter Cawley wrote:
> Hence I'd like to pose two questions to people interested in
> mod_lua:
> * Would you be interested in mentoring a GSoC project on mod_lua?
> * Is there anything else which you think could be done to mod_lua
> within the scope of GSoC?

1. Yes
2. The last time I tried it, mod_lua would not work with LuaRocks
(www.luarocks.org).  I didn't get around to exploring why it didn't
work, but I don't think it would be anything too problematic.  It would
be quite useful to get them working together.

Matt