Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Prashant Neginahal <pr...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/08 19:04:00 UTC

maven releases during testing

Hi,
I am using maven for web application development. As it is in development
phase it is versioned as app-1.0-SNAPSHOT. But, application starts in
couple of weeks, I was wondering what should be the best practise for
release during tests. I believe only when it is tested and can go to
production, then it is versioned to app-1.0. But, during testing how do we
manage its versions?

Thanks,
Prashant

Re: maven releases during testing

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> release during tests. I believe only when it is tested and can go to
> production, then it is versioned to app-1.0. But, during testing how do we
> manage its versions?

Just push a version out and call it 1.0-alpha-1 or -beta-1 or
whatever. And test that version until you're happy with it. Keep
changing (releasing versions) until you have things pretty well
stabilized and you're happy with it then cut a release or just promote
-beta-8 to be your "production" system and start on 1.1-SNAPSHOT.

Wayne