Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by "Zelkowitz, Evan" <Ev...@comcast.com> on 2018/08/15 17:15:21 UTC

[Proposal] Change *attempts_timeout to milliseconds from seconds

?Currently all the attempts_timeout values are in seconds. We have seen some issues where we believe being able to have a finer granularity over this may help alleviate some problems.  Also for live streaming video in 2 second fragments a 1 second timeout does not provide as much control. So proposing that we change these to milliseconds.

We briefly discussed on IRC some alternatives such as using floats, but that could introduce precision issues, as well as adding values such as 'ms' 's' etc. The latter might be nice but that is a large change since there currently is no units parsing for values in records.config so it might be nice to have in the future but thats a much larger scope of work.

Re: [Proposal] Change *attempts_timeout to milliseconds from seconds

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com.INVALID>.
Not directly, but I do think that when this gets converted to YAML we make
*all* durations seconds by default, with a suffix or metric option to
specify other time units. For a stop gap, Walt might be right and we could
just add a parallel configuration variable with "_ms" at the end to specify
this value in milliseconds on the presumption that will get cleaned up
during the conversion.

Posted by "Zelkowitz, Evan" <Ev...@comcast.com>.

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@oath.com.INVALID>.
Or jump off.