Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Juliana <ze...@zen.co.uk> on 2019/08/31 10:31:44 UTC

Running OpenOffice and Microsoft Office at the Same Time: Issue

Hi Team,

I have been using Open Office. Yesterday, I installed Microsoft Office 365 Personal. Now I have the following issue:

I cannot open xlxs files. I have to use Open Office and cannot open with Microsoft Office. This is true of Words documents too.

Does Open Office take precedence over Microsoft Office?

I need to import xlxs files into JotForm and cannot do so at present.

Could you please help?

Thanks so much,
Juliana

Re: Running OpenOffice and Microsoft Office at the Same Time: Issue

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Far from home without a computer, but, my guess is that this is related to file extensions, my guess is that when you double-click on a file it opens in open office as opposed to Microsoft office because open office is the last thing that you installed.

If you do not receive a response on how to do that in Windows, try Google. I don't know how to do any of that because I don't use Windows really, I'm a Linux guy, but I understand the problem.

Hope it helps at least a little.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

> Op 31 aug. 2019 om 12:31 heeft Juliana <ze...@zen.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> I have been using Open Office. Yesterday, I installed Microsoft Office 365 Personal. Now I have the following issue:
>
> I cannot open xlxs files. I have to use Open Office and cannot open with Microsoft Office. This is true of Words documents too.
>
> Does Open Office take precedence over Microsoft Office?

No, it’s a setting in your Operating System.
Just right click on the xlxs file and choose Open With then select the application yo like and it opens a you prefer.
You also can tick the option to do this always in the future.

Posted by chuck ef <ch...@hotmail.com>.
You might try right-clicking the .xlx file and “open with.”

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
and one final comment, try opening office and then using file open to open the file in question rather than just double-clicking on it, that should get you there until you fix the association problem